strange headlight activity

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Mez
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 1.4 16v

strange headlight activity

Postby Mez » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 am

hi guys

right here goes another electronic thread
iv got a 2004 megane 2

MOT is due in a few weeks so needed to get things sorted including passanger side bulb "replacement" err go the problem

went to halfords yesturday checked in the car park which bulb it was that needed replacing and magically they were all working fine HOWEVER

my passanger side sidelight only comes on when i put my dipped or full beams on but refuses to work if i just want my sidelights on ??
iv spoken to a few people to see what it could be they tend to think its a bad earth somewhere

i bought a new battery a few weeks ago and last week the car just died (negative terminal wasnt clamped down properly) but worked fine after being clamped APART FROM THIS SIDELIGHT BULB???

Can someone please tell me why my passanger side light bulb wont work when i want only the sidelights on and WILL work when i turn all of my lights on please???

I wanted to check on here first before going to Renault and getting ass raped with prices !!!

Thanks Mez x

Mez
Just Passed

Re: strange headlight activity

Postby Mez » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:05 am

also i thought id make clear there is a tiny bit of condensation in the headlight (im talking minute ) although this hasnt caused me problems before

thanks

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm

that water ingress can cause that bad earth to be present. If you turn on one of the other bulbs it will work, but if its turned on alone it will not work. This could mean that the sidelight is using the earth signal from the other bulbs. This can take a few time but i would take the beam out, clean the water condensation and try to re-seal it. After that test the beam out side and check if everything is okay. After that check the terminals if you get the proper voltage on each connector. If you go to the Reanult dealer with that problem probably they will charge you a new beam.

Cheers

Mez
Just Passed

Postby Mez » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 am

fixed it lol

bulb was loose - typical haha xxx

Return to “Problems / Questions”