very bad mpg Scenic 1.9dci

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

karllap

very bad mpg Scenic 1.9dci

Postby karllap » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi,
My wife has a 2005 1.9dci scenic. I have used it for work today and when I got in I was horrified to see that the average mpg was at 27 :eek she does mainly only do the school run but I reset on my way to work (only 10 miles but mainly a roads and a little motorway) and still only got 32mpg.
I know mpg goes down in winter but I'm sure this can't be right or is it?

If not does anybody have any ideas?

Also I have the check parking brake on since the battery went flat is there any way to reset without going to the stealers in the Warrington/St Helens area?

Thanks

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Re: very bad mpg Scenic 1.9dci

Postby Husky_Dog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi Karllap,

When was the car serviced - in particular when was the air filter last replaced?

Is the car sluggish - does it appear to need a good thrash to get it up to full torque? Can you hear the turbo run up to speed and regulate?

I have the same model and at a similar age to your wife’s Scenic, I had a similar problem a couple of summers back and found loads of straw had almost blinded the air filter element completely. Renault service interval for the air filter is 60,000 KM (38,000 miles) but if you live in a dirty environment this should be done at least half of that. After I replaced the filter with a Halfords element my fuel efficiency went back to 55 - 57 MPG (motorway driving).

If you have had the air filter replaced recently we'll have to start looking deeper in to the system.

Hope this helps?

Will.
2005 Scenic 1.9Dci 120 Exception

karllap

Postby karllap » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Husky_Dog wrote:Hi Karllap,

When was the car serviced - in particular when was the air filter last replaced?

Is the car sluggish - does it appear to need a good thrash to get it up to full torque? Can you hear the turbo run up to speed and regulate?

I have the same model and at a similar age to your wife’s Scenic, I had a similar problem a couple of summers back and found loads of straw had almost blinded the air filter element completely. Renault service interval for the air filter is 60,000 KM (38,000 miles) but if you live in a dirty environment this should be done at least half of that. After I replaced the filter with a Halfords element my fuel efficiency went back to 55 - 57 MPG (motorway driving).

If you have had the air filter replaced recently we'll have to start looking deeper in to the system.

Hope this helps?

Will.

Thanks for the help, you've probably hit on something there as the car has sone 62k and I am not aware that the air filter has been changed. job for the weekend!
Thanks

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Glad to be of some help... :cool:

Not sure if you have a Haynes or Renault Manual but the air filter box is accessed by removing the rubber weather strip / bonnet seal. There is a panel that is removed by a couple of screws and some stud location spigots. Once accessed the air filter element can be removed by the use of a right angled Phillips screwdriver. I hope you don't take it as "Granny and suck eggs etc" but I seem to remember taking a little while to work this one out when I first did the job and contemplated removing the battery. This advice is just to assure you don't have to remove the battery for access!! Here is a link to my post back then: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5099

As for your hand brake issue. Not sure I can help you as when I have had this indication on mine (i.e. pulling the handbrake on when it was icy and the rear wheels locked at «2MPH but the front wheels kept rotating) the message disappeared at the next proper handbrake application.

Have you taken the car to Renault for the "Emergency Handbrake Recall" that affects this model? The recall is mandatory (and therefore free) + you will get the car washed if you're lucky :D Hopefully the recall (if not yet complied with) will allow you to get a diagnostic carried out... :idea:

Let us know what you find if you have time. It is always nice to have complete threads for when issues come up for others in the further.

Beer time!
Will. 8)
2005 Scenic 1.9Dci 120 Exception

Return to “Problems / Questions”