Rough feeling idle - EGR?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Cozza
Currently Drives:: Megane Dynamique 1.5dci

Rough feeling idle - EGR?

Postby Cozza » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi folks,
My 2006 1.5 dci has started feeling a bit rough sometimes when idling. It's strange as the rev counter doesn't budge a bit, but the car is definitely not running correctly. Apart from this, which can be cleared by revving it a wee bit, the car runs perfectly. It's only an 86bhp car but I'm sure they but a 106 in by mistake lol!

I'm thinking the EGR valve needs a clean but what are others' thoughts? All inputs greatfully received!

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Re: Rough feeling idle - EGR?

Postby Husky_Dog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi Cozza,

Have a read of this technical document. I think it will help you troubleshoot further...

https://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages ... en_web.pdf

Kind regards,
Will.
2005 Scenic 1.9Dci 120 Exception

Cozza
Currently Drives:: Megane Dynamique 1.5dci

Postby Cozza » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks Will. A great link. If it ever gets above freezing point and my fingers are less likely to freeze onto the engine block I'll go through the test procedure!

Have a good Christmas

Cozza

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 pm

I had this problem on mine. The problem turned out to be in the crankcase breather system. The tubes were literally blocked with a wax like substance.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:15 pm

i had this problem this week - turns out the car ate 1 litre of oil this month (i checked oil levels last month)

clausmarquez
Currently Drives:: renault megane II 2006 hatchback, panoramic sunroof

Postby clausmarquez » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:24 pm

ray what was the problem? i've had this issue also, now my car is really rough and my check injectros light is lit, sadly i wont be able to have this checked till after the holidays so no car for me!

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:00 pm

no idea what the problem was.
i added the litre (i always carry a top up bottle in the boot) and it's been fine. Took it easy until it warmed up then gave it a good boot to max revs in first few gears. no black or white/blue smoke. Did about 100 miles of driving

i can only think a seal has contracted due to cold causing the oil leak somewhere (not sure where though) which then expands when engine warms up sealing it again.

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Ray wrote:i had this problem this week - turns out the car ate 1 litre of oil this month (i checked oil levels last month)

My 1.9 Dci is prone to eating the oil during cold weather as well. I believe that short runs don't help in this cold snap. A typical journey to work for me is 5 miles door to door, so the engine is run cold a lot.

Carried out a 9000 mile oil change a couple of days ago as I was down 3 bars on the dipstick (about 750 ml). I find on longer journeys where everything gets up to temperature very little oil is consumed. During the service there was a lot of oil in the intercooler pipe suggesting the oil is coming from the turbo side of the system.

Running on Halfords fully synthetic 5W40 as I find the Mobil 1 0W40 gets consumed at a faster rate. I guess as it is that little bit thinner when the engine is cold.
2005 Scenic 1.9Dci 120 Exception

Return to “Problems / Questions”