Strut top mount/bearing

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

RockyBalboa
Currently Drives:: Megane II

Strut top mount/bearing

Postby RockyBalboa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Hello,

Received an MOT warning for the strut mount bearing (would click when turning wheel).

My question is, how easy is this to change and where is the best place to source it?

Thanks.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Strut top mount/bearing

Postby davelowe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Easy enough to change provided you have a torque wrench, 6 & 8mm Allen keys, some sockets, a 16mm /18mm spanner, axle stand, jack and spring compressors.

Remove the wheel, the trim in the engine bay (around the wipers), the ABS bracket, the anti-roll bar (jack up the lower strut to keep it level), the lower pinch bolt. Tie up the top of the calliper to prevent straining the drive shaft - it is very prone to tipping. Lower the bottom strut off the jack and whack it to free the shock absorber. Remove the three bolts at the top (NOT the centre one) and have an assistant remove the spring, bearing and absorber from under the car. Compress the spring on a bench (being careful) then undo the top nut and replace the bearing.

Put back together in reverse order.

Not sure where you can source the part, and there may be more than one type. Best phone a dealership to check.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

wynney1978
Currently Drives:: 2004 Renault Megane Saloon 1.5dci (80)
2000 Nissan Primera Sport 2.0 (140)

Postby wynney1978 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 am

LOL, just laughed to myself at the "(NOT the centre one)" bit as this is what i did and seperated the spring assembly without the compressors on... Silly Balls!! :lol:

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 pm

wynney1978 wrote:LOL, just laughed to myself at the "(NOT the centre one)" bit as this is what i did and seperated the spring assembly without the compressors on... Silly Balls!! :lol:

funking hell! Were you injured??
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

wynney1978
Currently Drives:: 2004 Renault Megane Saloon 1.5dci (80)
2000 Nissan Primera Sport 2.0 (140)

Postby wynney1978 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Nah, luckily I had it on the floor and it was only when i started lifting the car on the lift that I noticed it seperating slowly by which time it was too late and it mis-aligned so I couldn't just drop it back down.
Try putting one back together with short spring clamps after one has fully extended!!! Not good! :cry

Here's the bit where you'll cringe...
I had to put the strut in a vice, use both clamps to compress as much as possible then.... RELEASE ONE!! :nut so I could clamp another ring to compress it that bit more. (It's ok, I had safety gigs on!!) But seriously I DO NOT recommend doing this :no I only had to do it because I mistakingly thought all shock units were generally the same.

Other than that, as long as you got the tools it is quite easy to change the strut-top bearings/springs as long as you're ok on the spanners and do it properly and release the strut by undoing the 3 bolts at the the top to release the whole shock unit then use the spring clamps to compress the spring BEFORE undoing the single nut on the shock unit.

:cool: Cheers for the concern "davelowe"

Return to “Problems / Questions”