APPEAL TO RENAULT

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

APPEAL TO RENAULT

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:32 pm

I am sure that there are those amongst us who must have noticed the quite extraordinary number of turbo and/or engine failures with dCis.

It is pretty obvious that what was once a rash of failures is now reaching epidemic proportions. My concern is that it is, without doubt, affecting the future value of our cars. Furthermore there are mixed messages coming out of Renault UK and no one seems to know for sure what the recommended oils are for the dCi range.

I have asked Renault UK on numerous ocassions for a response but have failed to get an answer from anyone at all.

Following discussions with Andy, it has been decided to issue a Press Release from the Club regarding the concerns of its members.

So if you are concerned, please let me know by responding on this thread. It would help if you could let me have the details of your car - dCi engine size, mileage, etc..

Hopefully the Club will become the standard bearer for what must be hundreds of other owners who have already had problems. Many of these will be people who have cars that are now out of warranty or do not have much time left on them.

I have decided to do my bit by involving the Club with AMSOIL and running a long term test on our 1.9dCi. It would be an ideal car to use as it has just had a new turbo with all the bits and a new EGR valve. I shall report monthly on our findings which will include a noise test (I have a decibel meter) and a precise fuel consumption test. The oil will be checked at regular intervals by AMSOIL UK and the car will run a supplementary filter. This will take out particles down to one micron.

03/11/05

You will see that I have deleted a number of posts. If you re-read this post and take note of the sentence that I have highlighted you should understand why. Some amongst us managed to post more than once!
Last edited by Le Grand Crapaud on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

peter thompson
Just Passed

dci engine

Postby peter thompson » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:40 pm

Hi mate this is my second dci my first was 1.5 I had covered about 8500 miles with no problem. I now have a 1.9 with the 130 bhp I've only covered 1600 miled so far but all seems to ok. I had read some where about problems with the valuve with leads to the turbo overheating which it said was down to the wrong oil being used. Mine does need topping up soon so knowing which oil to put in it would be helpful. If you need any more details let me know mate. pete. :lol:
Megane II 2006 Dynamique in Quartz with Climate, hands free, mp3+multi disc, cruise control, rear parking sensors. It's fantastic II

amsoil
Passed Theory

Postby amsoil » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:33 pm

This is getting a bit heated very quickly, in fact quicker than we have worked out how to do things! :roll: To qualify a few raised points....
Doing such a test will cost me a little money.:shock:
It will also put the products to intense and very public scrutiny.
There is a very real risk of failure of an engine (especially with the history of these cars) that may not be due to the oil. This is a risk I don't really need to take! :?
I have agreed to the test because I was asked and in believing in the products I sell I believe the test will not only be successful but I might even sell a few kits to more than cover the costs. :wink:
The Oil analysis will be done by an independent Lab at my cost. I have no objection to the result sheets being posted on this forum.
It has been suggested that we also try this with a Laguna; now as I cant think of a Laguna owner who uses or is prepared to use Amsoil which is the best oil in the world, it may be a little bit more of a problem. :?:
The unfortunate thing is that to do these tests will take the kind of time that an alarming number of owners apparently have not got. :!:
The ideal would be that I waste my time and money because Renault come clean and have a solution to the problem before the tests are completed, but I won't be holding my breath :oops:
If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 0208 737 0649 email greenlynx@blueyonder.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:23 am

Hi LGC

Count me in. Current Car is Megane Sports Saloon 1.5dCi 100.
2005 model with just over 4000 miles on the clock, so far it's used about 1/2 a litre during this time (topped up with Texaco Havoline 5W40 100% fully synthetic)
The wife's Clio dCi 80 (2004 model) has covered 7500 miles and used about the same amount of oil up to 7000 when I changed the oil and filter (again Havoline 5W40 fully synthetic)

Regards
Iain

osprey
Passed Theory

Postby osprey » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:24 am

Count me in on the press release LGC, especially as I have just received my car back from Renault for some warranty work, (While it was there I asked them to check the faint whistling noise from the turbo). Can't find anything wrong with it was the reply. I explained that I am aware of the problems Renault are having with their turbos, and the reply I got back was just incredulous - " We don't have many problems with turbos" I didn't know what to say! I was just speechless! So there you have it, some Renault garages are even denying/ignorant to the fact that there is a problem!

Megane sports tourer, 2004 04, 1.5 dci (80), 23k.

Osprey

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:52 pm

My sport tourer is a jul 05 1.9 dci 120 (the last of the 120's?)
So far done about 9.5k probelm free miles from new and is still 3/4 of the way up the dipstick and the oil isn't looking at all dirty yet.
Based on the advice here I'm thinking of changing the oil and filter halfway betwen services (i.e. round about now) I asked my dealer and they said its okay to change the oil/filter myself as long as its a genuine renault filter and the oil is up to spec. I've got a bottle od Halfords own brand fully synthetic on the shelf in the garage so i was going to bung that in.
I'm happy to contribute my experiences and be a part of any experiment or press statement etc.
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:00 pm

count me in too, 1.9dCi 36,000miles 2004

Have a slight whistle/whine, getting it checked out currently as its in for its 36,000 miles service. Its been in the garage since Thursday morning, its going to be ready tomorrow...... I have a feeling what they are going to say. I'll keep you all informed!
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:45 pm

pw981 I had the service manager of Renault Swansea out listening to the whine when I took the car in for its 36,000 mile service.

Result - new turbo, pipes, intercooler and, eventually, EGR valve fitted! It's at about this mileage that they start to go. I would be making it quite clear that if I have to take it back in at a later date, I shall not be best pleased. Remember if you are on the motorway when it DOES blow you can be in quite a lot of difficulty to put it mildly!

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:25 pm

So what did they say about the whine :roll: ?

I can guess. French whine is better than German whine :wink: !

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:43 pm

they said 'no fault found' a whine can be heard only when revving the engine when stationary though, and in 1st gear when moving?
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:07 pm

Sadly this situation re dCi engines is going nowhere on this thread!

brahanII
Learner Driver

Postby brahanII » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:24 pm

Hi Le Grand Crapaud,

Disappointing when so many have complained on previous threads about their Dci's and I'm sure a great many will complain in the future,

A golden opportunity missed to gather data and take it home to Renault.

Once again a major manufacturer escapes a known and serious problem.

Regards

BrahanII

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:31 pm

Indeed! Then in the UK complacency is the mother of non-intervention.

Quite frankly most people don't care but should they own a car post warranty they'll soon change their tune. By that time it will be too late!

pw981
Rally Driver

Postby pw981 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:10 pm

This thread has been quiet for a while, I've just wrote a letter to RCS about my turbo, getting my dealer to check it AGAIN! :(
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:54 pm

COMPLACENCY IS THE MOTHER OF NON INTERVENTION! :cry:

I wonder just how many members we now have with dCi engined cars? Some people who I know own these are enormously conspicuous by their absence on this thread!

More fool you is all I can say; it's your money that will go down the pan in months to come. It seems that 1.5dCis are now beginning to pop on a far too frequent basis as well :evil: !

Happy Christmas and a no bang New Year!

Return to “Problems / Questions”