APPEAL TO RENAULT

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

iainmaciver

Postby iainmaciver » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:42 pm

ps. regarding not making sound economic sense the 2.0 litre petrol model was only £1000 cheaper at the time. I'll have saved around that much in fuel in 3 years with far better performance into the bargain !!

sporttourer
Pass Plus

Postby sporttourer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:39 pm

I wouldn't call 10000 miles per year well below average, just slightly below. I don't recall reading in the owners manual that you had to do at least 20k per year or your turbo would blow up !!!

I don't recall Beer saying it would make you drunk or chocolate saying it will make you fat but it does! :twisted:
Last edited by sporttourer on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------
All information and/or advice given is in good faith and any action taken by the reader is done so at their own risk.

iainmaciver

Postby iainmaciver » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:06 pm

Anyway the whole reason I replied was to register my concern re. turbos as requested at the start of this whole topic - not to get a sermon on what type of car I should have bought !

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:25 pm

The point is that pottering about in a turbo diesel is asking for trouble! These engines are made for high mileages. Not getting a good regular work out will cause condensation in the engine oil which is one of the things guaranteed to drastically reduce the life of the turbo shaft bearings and resultant turbo failure.

Need I say more?

Oh yes the petrol equivalent of the 1.9dCi is the 1.6VVT. You might get a 25% improvement in fuel consumption - 45 v 36mpg, so in 10,000 miles p.a. you might save 55.5 gallons at £4.45 per gallon. That would take more than 4 years to recover just £1000 but the 1.6VVT is about £1600 cheaper. Furthermore servicing costs are higher and you will get through tyres more quickly. Oh and diesel is more expensive. Don't even ask about the cost of a set of glow plugs :shock: !

It does not make economic sense!
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

DJC013
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2004 Scenic 1.9 dCi, 2001 SLK 320 Auto

Postby DJC013 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:50 pm

Now i know why i don`t post a reply very often !! :(
2004 Scenic 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique 6 Speed Black 17" Nervasports VF1 JMRG

Visit my Flickr site ! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/28464546@N05/

iainmaciver

Postby iainmaciver » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:56 pm

My car does a regular 25 mile run at 70-80mph so I would hardly call that pottering about - and as I live on an island it's not as if I sit stuck in traffic jams. Part of the reason I got the car was for performance - I think you will find that a 1.6 petrol will give nowhere near the same performance as a 1.9dci - so I don't know how you can call it equivalent ??

I have a very good local renault main dealer where servicing costs are no higher than for a petrol equivalent so it does make economic sense.

Anyway we could argue about this forever I thought the purpose of this thread was for dci owners to help eachother by getting renault to admit to a potentially crippling future fault.

You complained earlier in the thread that people with dci cars were not coming forward to air their concerns. With replies like yours I'm not surprised !

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 am

I aplogise - I got my facts wrong. Figures for the 1.6VVT and 120dCi would indicate a saving of 44 gallons per annum and a cost difference of around £2,000 on a 3dr Dynamique (now a 130). Performance difference is marginal.

Meanwhile I would refer you to the original post on this topic. Please just stick to the facts and stop bickering. In fact as I am far too busy these days to spend as much time as I would like on here, it would help me if someone else would send in a monthly copy to RenUK.

Mind you there wouldn't be much to do and it would only demonstrate what an apathetic bunch the dCi owners are!

At least I can say that by campaigning about this issue since November 2005, I and others forced RenUK to introduce the Yellow OTS Scheme for Laguna ll 1.9dCis and with a bit of extra shoving and pushing had it extended to cover the Mégane lls and Scénic ls and lls as well.
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

iainmaciver

Postby iainmaciver » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:46 pm

Thank you. The facts are exactly what I stuck to in my original post !!!!!

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:30 am

I was hoping that my problems would be fixed fast by the supreme excellance of Renault engineering!!!! :lol:

1.5dCi 3 door bought in Sept 06.

Problems with Noisey Brakes, Leaking gas noise, Sticking clutch, grease on windows and errrm....i think that it for now.

I hope renault get off their behinds and start finding solution for all these problems that the Megane has!!

Not Happy
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

allisnotwell

Postby allisnotwell » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:24 pm

:curse hi everybody i have just joined so please bear with me if i sound a little mad. ye well i was one of those many people who was sucked in by the trendy renault commercial showing the new renault magane Dynamique.i have always been a fan of large backsides and this car certainly had one of those.so i goes to my local renault dealer and trades in my very reliable nissan almera[1998] and purchases a renault megane Dynamique 1.6 v manuel petrol engine hatchback.2003 reg
the funny thing is i was looking for car finance at the time and they would only give me part finance and then i had to find £4,500. any ways i had my lovely car for a year and was thoroughly enjoying the renault experience until one day driving home from Croydon surrey the car just went idle and stopped at the traffic lights in peak time traffic the car evetually started but that was embarassing. i took the car back to the dealership i bought it from they apparently fitted new electrics then the car was fine.
unfortunately for me the car has yet again become mechanically problematic the car idles at slow speeds and just stops [embarassing] when you have to stop at traffic lights. the in-car computer reads check injectors which now i understand means engine management sensor is faulty.an estimate to fix the car is £2,000 as the car is out of warrenty.
i am interested to hear of similar experiences like mine

Gonescenile

Postby Gonescenile » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:48 am

We've got an early 2005 ( 54 plate ) 1.9dci Grand Scenic. It was bought new and so far we've covered 24,500 trouble free miles. The oil has been changed every 9000mls, not the 18,000 as suggested in the service schedule and and it's been fully synthetic stuff.
Gonescenile

sailpics
Passed Theory

Postby sailpics » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:04 am

I've just passed 36.5k miles in my July 04 1.9dci 120 CC

Apart from early problems with an engine warning about a year ago, I've not had any problems recently (touch wood)

The oil was changed at 9k, 18k, but not since as I havn't had the time and have racked up a few k mainly motorway miles quite quickly over the last few months and it got to the point that I thought it wasn't worth changing the oil when the next sevice was due soon.

Why do Renault make is so difficult to get to the oil filter?
Megane CC Dynamique 1.9 DCI 120 - Black - 17" 'Nervasport' Alloys - Keyless

allisnotwell

Postby allisnotwell » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 am

:headb well then i have to continue because i did,nt realise that there is a maximum word reply on this site. as i was saying MY renault megane 11 dynamique hatchback [reg 2003] which turned 3yrs old march[ 2006] has been kicking up mechanical problems ever since i got it and now the cars warrenty has expired trying to find the money to fix the problem is a headache. i feel personally unlucky to have been sold one of those cars that have come from a bad batch if you understand what i mean. the car is sitting idle at the moment i still owe a balance of £5,000 on the car unless the finance company can help me fix the car it will have to go back to the finance company. and i will take out a lease on a car BUT NOT A RENAULT AGAIN!!!

allisnotwell

Postby allisnotwell » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:07 pm

can anyone tell me why it takes so long to change an indicator bulb light on the renault megane dynamique it was at my local garage all day and it cost me £68 [the bulb was only £1] ?

can anyone tell me why renault have made it extremely hard to fit and replace any part that stops working on the renault megane dynamique is it a french v british thing?

if they want to compete with toyota and nissan for affordable RELIABLE cars renault are going to have to pull their finger OUT!! and research into why their cars are so unreliably CRAP!!! :whip

sideswipe
Advanced Driver

Postby sideswipe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:33 pm

*YOUR BlOODY JOKING *right ??????? If your bulb was knackered I would assume they would do it for free as it takes seconds to take out and replace (if you have small hands), if not then get onto the head guy at the garage NOT the service muppet but the guy that runs the whole shooting match.

Also if it happens again go to Halfruads buy the buld they will either fit it free or charge you £1:99 , wish you posted before you went, that way you would have a few quid left in your pocket.

I think we should all bombard REN UK with this problem , they make it dam hard at times to change a simple thing but charge you a fecking fortune when they need to do it.

Also on a side not , if it was the bulb holder and your car is still under warrenty it should have been done free of charge.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Return to “Problems / Questions”