Noisy Heater Motor

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Noisy Heater Motor

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:41 pm

Winter must be upon us as the heater blower motor is on the way out. It sound like an old twin Volvo Penta diesel at about 1500rpm - that sort of grrrrrrr noise. The one that you can make by putting a g in the back of your throat and making a....... grrrrrrr.

It sounds like I feel. Well if you had just found out that the car had lost two thirds of its value in 27 months how would you feel? Invoice price £13.5k, trade in against Honda.......£4.5k. Forgetting everything else that means depreciation works out at over 20p per mile :shock: !

Oh and £1000 off Honda without trade-in.................... :twisted:
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

osprey
Passed Theory

Postby osprey » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Which Honda would that be LGC, Civic? Are you going to trade it in?, or having found out the trade in value of yours decided against :!:

brahanII
Learner Driver

Re: Noisy Heater Motor

Postby brahanII » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:16 am

[quote.

Well if you had just found out that the car had lost two thirds of its value in 27 months how would you feel? Invoice price £13.5k, trade in against Honda.......£4.5k. Forgetting everything else that means depreciation works out at over 20p per mile :shock: !

Oh and £1000 off Honda without trade-in.................... :twisted:[/quote]

Hi LGC,
You could take the difference between the trade price and retail price I guess about £1000 & £1200 pursue the Dealership/Renault U.K through the small claims court for the differance due to the considerable problems you have had with the vehicle, Whats your mileage showing about 45k ?.
regards

BrahanII

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:50 am

I don't think that it would be feasible to pursue Renault through Small Claims.

I went to check out the trade in value and was considering a particular Honda at around £14k. I will run the car into the ground - in fact I don't think that I will have to do it, it's more than capable of doing it on its own!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:13 am

A comment from the future: it could have been a good idea...

Le Grand Crapaud wrote:... I will run the car into the ground - in fact I don't think that I will have to do it, it's more than capable of doing it on its own!
Last edited by AlexB on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

osprey
Passed Theory

Postby osprey » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:54 pm

I Can't believe your not considering another Renault LGC! :wink:

cipman
Learner Driver

Re: Noisy Heater Motor

Postby cipman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:29 pm

Le Grand Crapaud wrote:Winter must be upon us as the heater blower motor is on the way out. It sound like an old twin Volvo Penta diesel at about 1500rpm - that sort of grrrrrrr noise. The one that you can make by putting a g in the back of your throat and making a....... grrrrrrr.

Sounds like when a leaf or something manages to get in and gets stuck in the blower. Put the fan in high gear and let it blow until the leaf breaks.
M2 Estate/Sport Tourer; 1.6 16v Privilege, 03/2005

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:58 pm

cipman I have driven close on 1.5 million kilometres and I've a pretty good idea about what goes on inside, outside, on top, underneath, in front and behind a car :lol: !!!

Sadly the heater blower motor is about to expire. It is not a leaf but the poor quality and cheapness of the unit!

cipman
Learner Driver

Postby cipman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:30 pm

Well, sorry for that. Then i'm sure you know what's the solution for your blower, except replacing it.
M2 Estate/Sport Tourer; 1.6 16v Privilege, 03/2005

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:53 pm

Yes, get rid of the heap of excrement but I can't afford to!

omar
Pass Plus

Postby omar » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:03 pm

Any chance of trading in at a Reno dealer? Surely you'd get a fair bit more from them than Honda. Every now and again my dealer has a nice shiny almost new german/japanese car that some poor unfortunate fool has clearly traded in to buy an Espace as the family grows etc.

Good luck!
1.6vvt, 3 door, comfort pack, Tomtom, Greenstuff pads, Sony CDX-F7750 & TS-Q131c.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:19 pm

Thank you omar but I'm stuck for at least another 7 months. However all is not lost. Ren UK have offered a chunk (big :D ) off another car so I'll see if I can move it on!

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:12 am

Sometimes when I turn on the heater it sounds like a leaf or something is hitting against the heater's rotating blades. The solution is to turn it up to 11 and the leaf (or whatever is in there) moves away causing the annoying noise to dissappear.

However, today I turned on the heater on full blast and it sounded like the motor was making a very deep, bassy buzzing sound - it's very hard to describe and also hard to discern, what with all that hot air being blown around. But it's there. Should I be concerned? :(
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:21 am

Usual heater blower motor problem. Get it replaced before it goes up in smoke. Seriously because if you don't, you'll never get rid of the "fishy" (burning electrics) smell.

darel
Learner Driver

Postby darel » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:11 pm

Hi LGC - I enjoy your posts, you obviously know a thing or three about cars :)

We had the same problem with our blower about half a year ago, we did the same as one of the previous here has stated, put the blower up to full (a few bangs on the dash (feels good to hit this car)) and it went away, no problem since, no noise no smells. (but now you mention it could be due to a failing motor, i will keep a closer eye on it)

However we have had just about every other problem in the forum with our migraine. We are outside warranty now (2 years) we got it back from our 5th unplanned visit to the workshop (here in Sweden) for water in doors, and an indicator bulb that keeps blowing. even though we were only a couple of weeks out of warranty and we had taken it in for this problem before renault refused to cover the costs, so the garage (here in sweden renault uses Volvos service network!) too the costs on themselves!

We have the 2.0 litre dynamique with 17 inches wheels and most of the options.

Seems like we will probably be stuck in the same situation that the car won't be worth a jot due to renault "quality" and we will have to run it into the ground. This is no way to treat customers as they are going to learn to their disadvantage.

Strange that the only recall we have had is for the electric window problem when there are far more pressing safety issues these cars should be recalled for.

Anyway I think I will be firing off a very snotty letter to renault headoffice pointing to a list of atleast 15 major problems we have had with the car, and how i feel that 'first years' models should get an extra years warranty due to their lack of testing.

Not due to renault the service network here has been brilliant (probably because its volvos service network).
Last edited by darel on Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Problems / Questions”