Rear Brake Disc & Pads

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Rear Brake Disc & Pads

Postby AlexB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 pm

True. There are, basically two options: either the rear discs alone without bearing and ABS rings (aftermarket option), or everything assembled together (OEM option). I chose the OEM option -- less hassle plus some assurance that the bearings will not fail half way through the life of the discs.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 pm

AlexB wrote:Joeish,

You are talking about the old days technology. If you look at your brakes, you will discover shims on the pads. The shims have special coating, which makes greasing them redundant. The whole pad has a different and also a special type of coating. The friction side of the pad is chamfered and coated with bedding-in compound. In the middle it has a cut to remove gasses under heavy breaking. The calliper also has coating and the stainless plates in the points where the pad contacts it. By applying grease, you are just inviting more dirt in the system, which will solidify once saturated with dust.

The brakes squeak because people use incorrect/cheap materials in servicing, do certain things incorrectly (the usual problem with adjustment of handbrakes) or don't repair them once damaged through lack of use or corrosion.
Finally, copper grease is obsolete as an anti-seize. These days people use ceramic paste that does not cause galvanic corrosion.

This is informative and interesting. It should be made a sticky in its own right.

It's a shame that not all of the bodywork is electrically connected (rubber bushes and so forth), otherwise I would bolt a lump of zinc on somewhere and kiss goodbye to rust. In the mean time, it's Waxoyl or some KMS stuff I've been trying out (another story).
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Dazg73
Currently Drives:: 04 renault megane 2 1.5dci dynamique seat Ibiza copa

Postby Dazg73 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:53 pm

i have just fitted these and had no problems so far https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 87&alt=web

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:57 am

Hi Dave,

A block of zinc will only work under water or when the whole part is covered with ice/snow. Otherwise, only a small area around the block is protected. There's a very old method of connecting carbon electrodes to the surface of the paint with some sort of magical ionic membrane and applying pulses of voltage to it. This creates a surface potential protecting the exposed metal in the paint defects. Unfortunately, this is not suitable for the suspension components, because the coating on them perish quite quickly, and the method is not suitable for bare surfaces or rust.

In my experience, it is easier to use anticorrosion paint everywhere you see rust when servicing the car in spring.

davelowe wrote:
AlexB wrote:Joeish,

You are talking about the old days technology. If you look at your brakes, you will discover shims on the pads. The shims have special coating, which makes greasing them redundant. The whole pad has a different and also a special type of coating. The friction side of the pad is chamfered and coated with bedding-in compound. In the middle it has a cut to remove gasses under heavy breaking. The calliper also has coating and the stainless plates in the points where the pad contacts it. By applying grease, you are just inviting more dirt in the system, which will solidify once saturated with dust.

The brakes squeak because people use incorrect/cheap materials in servicing, do certain things incorrectly (the usual problem with adjustment of handbrakes) or don't repair them once damaged through lack of use or corrosion.
Finally, copper grease is obsolete as an anti-seize. These days people use ceramic paste that does not cause galvanic corrosion.

This is informative and interesting. It should be made a sticky in its own right.

It's a shame that not all of the bodywork is electrically connected (rubber bushes and so forth), otherwise I would bolt a lump of zinc on somewhere and kiss goodbye to rust. In the mean time, it's Waxoyl or some KMS stuff I've been trying out (another story).
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”