Camshaft Sensor

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

marc_bucks
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Sport Hatch 1.6VVT Dymanique

Camshaft Sensor

Postby marc_bucks » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:00 pm

I have a 1.6 Petrol Megane and have just been told by the garage that I need a new camshaft sensor and it's gonna cost £45 for parts and £58 to fit. Does this sound about right??? :conf

jeacthm
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2004 1.6 vvt petrol burgundy

Re: Camshaft Sensor

Postby jeacthm » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Are they using a genuine Renault part? if they are ring Renault yourself and find out how much the part will be if they are not ring around parts places or even ring a couple of other garages to find out how much they would charge :grin
Renault Megane 2004 1.6 vvt 16v deep red Leicester

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:24 pm

part price is about right, but it's the easiest of sensors to changes takes about 5mins, very easy DIY job to save yourself a few quid.
see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7573&p=50936#p50936

marc_bucks
Passed Theory

Postby marc_bucks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:55 am

Garage charged me £122 in the end. Car was saying "Check Injection" all the time and was not starting first time everytime, used to have to try and start it 15+ times before I could get it going. Camshaft Sensor changed and now no "Check Injection" error on the dash, YEAH!!!. But.... the car still sometimes wont start which I just don't get. I have put a new battery on it so can't be that. Anyone got any ideas?

jowett69
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 03 reg 1.6VVT Dynamique

Postby jowett69 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:53 pm

When it does start what does it sound like??

marc_bucks
Passed Theory

Postby marc_bucks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Sounds fine. Does it more when its cold and wet.

jowett69
Passed Theory

Postby jowett69 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 am

clean throttle first, but might be looking at dephaser !! but you says it drives ok.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:17 pm

marc_bucks,

Why did you pay for the job which was not done? It is either you pay and get the fault fixed or save money and do it DIY.

All faults that are indicated on the dashboard require reading the fault codes from ECU (OBD system). Any garage can read OBD, or get ELM327 from ebay for £20. Guessing further without it is pointless.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

marc_bucks
Passed Theory

Postby marc_bucks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Taking it back to the garage tomorrow and their going to put it on the diagnostics machine again. It would seem half the job is fixed as the check injection error isn't coming up on the dash anymore and car dosen't cut out when your coming to a stop. But yeah still won't start straight away everytime.... that is unless it's been started once in which case you can stop the engine and it will start everytime there after. Just seems to be when it's standing for long periods.... well I say long, but I mean overnight!!! Will let you know what they say.

jowett69
Passed Theory

Postby jowett69 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 am

Any news on your car yet

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 am

coming to a stop. But yeah still won't start straight away everytime....

My old 2003 1.6 Megane behaved exactly like that, I also had the camshaft sensor replaced, but the same problem as yours remained with starting, then the bag of spanners appeared and its was the pulley. Someone kindly wrote the car off for me before I had get it repaired.

marc_bucks
Passed Theory

Postby marc_bucks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Garage checked the car and said it was the clutch switch and was waiting for a new one to come in to try. New one came in and are now saying it isn't the clutch switch and is the starter motor. They not sure what starter motor it is until they get it off the car and check it. It is either a £70 one or a £235 one. Going to call Renault in the morning to give them my Reg plate and see if they can tell me what one it's likely to be, because you know the garage are going to try and say it's the £235 one. Garage also said it's about an hours labour to change. So annoying :banghead

jowett69
Passed Theory

Postby jowett69 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 pm

does the engine turn over when you press the start button, if yes does it turn the engine over everytime,if yes then its not your starter motor. my understanding that your car turns over but does not fire up or have i read it wrong?.

marc_bucks
Passed Theory

Postby marc_bucks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:53 pm

It takes a lot of attempts to start. It's not trying to turn the engine over when you press the start button. It's silent... but then on the 10th attempt or so it starts just as it should with no running problems. It will then start first time everytime for the rest of the day until I leave it over night and then I'm back to point 1 again in the morning.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 am

No, it is neither the switch nor the starter motor, I am 100% confident. Walk away from this garage. Try a Bosch garage, they can be found through Bosch web site, they tend to be good.

No lights and difficult starts in this model are often caused by a faulty dephaser or its circuit, rattling or not.

Does it have new oil in it? Is it MB229.5? Did it ever do more than 9k miles on the same oil?

marc_bucks wrote:Garage checked the car and said it was the clutch switch and was waiting for a new one to come in to try. New one came in and are now saying it isn't the clutch switch and is the starter motor. They not sure what starter motor it is until they get it off the car and check it. It is either a £70 one or a £235 one. Going to call Renault in the morning to give them my Reg plate and see if they can tell me what one it's likely to be, because you know the garage are going to try and say it's the £235 one. Garage also said it's about an hours labour to change. So annoying :banghead
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”