ok i admit it you were right

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jeacthm
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2004 1.6 vvt petrol burgundy

ok i admit it you were right

Postby jeacthm » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Well i have to finally admit it you were right

I have had problems on and off for a couple of weeks i have now been told it is the dephaser :eek BUT i have looked on a manual and the bit he pointed to says "Motorised throttle valve" is it the same thing or has he got it wrong???

Thanks Jea
Renault Megane 2004 1.6 vvt 16v deep red Leicester

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Re: ok i admit it you were right

Postby markren2004 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:29 pm

no...the throttle value is the throttle body with the motorised butterfly value inside it, where that air intake goes into the engine, it's the bit that moves when you press the accelerator on the modern fly by wire cars.
the dephaser is part of the engine timing for the variable values, completely different part.

jeacthm

Postby jeacthm » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 am

mmm interesting are they different prices then ??? will have to make sure i don't get stung !!!

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 pm

jeacthm wrote:mmm interesting are they different prices then ??? will have to make sure i don't get stung !!!

Dephasers are quite expensive to replace and have refitted. The dephaser is a common problem on the Megane. They "Renault" originally tested with a solid steel one as they are meant to be made of that worked and was proven and reliable, but when they made the Megane in order to save money they made them out of Aliminium without ever having tested them properly. Asa result they are not as durable and get knackered in. You then have to fork out to get them replaced unfortunately.

IANAE but .. The throttle body - I can't imagine it would be as costly for the replacement part but with Labour you'll probably be into triple figures I'd guess. That's if its definitely broke and knackered. Sometimes they just need cleaning. They are quite fragile though you have to be careful with them and not drop em.

jeacthm

Postby jeacthm » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:52 am

Thank you All for replying

I collected the throttle body from Renault Leicester yesterday and took it to the garage with the car, then got a call saying it was done!! so i went to collect it and when i got there the problem still remains, now they are saying something about diagnostic codes ??? I now hope to get it back today. Keep your fingers crossed and hope its not the dephaser.

jeacthm

Postby jeacthm » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:00 pm

WOO HOO all sorted (for now) and we are up and running again

Return to “Problems / Questions”