rattles and struggles to start?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

LukeySixx

rattles and struggles to start?

Postby LukeySixx » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:56 am

Hi there. I find when I go to start my meggy...I push the start button....it trys to start...but then dies (also with a rattling sound from the engine bay) I start it again and it starts...but just about.still sounds like its struggling....then I leave it running and then its fine. It will be fine all night then....but when I leave it a whole day...or an evening....it does that same? Any ideas? Need new battery? The what is the rattle sound?
Black Renault Megane VVT Dynamique 1.6
Debadged rear
Rear windows tinted 100%
Tinted "Clear section" on Rear lights

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: rattles and struggles to start?

Postby AlexB » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:17 am

LukeySixx,

Your first task will be to determine what engine you have... It might be relevant to diagnosing the rattly thingy inside the car.

Once you've confirmed that it is a 1.6vvt, start reading about dephaser failures. You will end up with replacing both belts, the dephaser, oil and filter. The problem is lubrication related, so use only OEM filters, MB229.5 oils a change oil/filter every 9k miles. Forget about long service intervals. It is a very frequent problem.

LukeySixx wrote:Hi there. I find when I go to start my meggy...I push the start button....it trys to start...but then dies (also with a rattling sound from the engine bay) I start it again and it starts...but just about.still sounds like its struggling....then I leave it running and then its fine. It will be fine all night then....but when I leave it a whole day...or an evening....it does that same? Any ideas? Need new battery? The what is the rattle sound?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

LukeySixx

Postby LukeySixx » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Yeah its a 1.6 vvt. Right ok...sound expensive. This a common problem then? Its due for a service. "change oil" is displayed
Black Renault Megane VVT Dynamique 1.6
Debadged rear
Rear windows tinted 100%
Tinted "Clear section" on Rear lights

gav1pam
Pass Plus

Postby gav1pam » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:14 pm

AlexB wrote:
Once you've confirmed that it is a 1.6vvt,

:)

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:34 pm

you dont say what age or mileage...but if it's due a cambelt soon anyway (5 yrs or 72k) then cost will be an extra £140 for the part plus a bit a of extra labour...

Return to “Problems / Questions”