Starting problems...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

j1ggy

Starting problems...

Postby j1ggy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:51 am

Hi guys! I have been searching up and down far and wide for a solution for my (cars) problem, but to no avail. I'm having problems starting my car. Car specs are as follows: 1.6 16v; 2006.(facelift); No problems at all before this. So here it goes: When I press the clutch and / or brake + start all is OK (lights and all), until it needs to actually start to rev the engine. As I have understood from posts in other similar topics, the clicking sound I hear is made by the solenoid, but the starter is the problem?

When the problem first appeared (few months ago), it used to take a few presses and it would start, but afterwards (for a few days) it would start OK. But now, it won't start after 5 or so minutes of trying. Interesting thing is, that when I used my wife's car and cables to jump start it (few days ago), it started after two presses, but later that day (jump starting it, still), it has taken ten or so presses and now it won't start at all. I hear the clicking sound under the bonnet EVERY time.

What I've done so far: changed the stock battery with a Bosch S3 model, cleaned the TDC sensor with WD 40 and a cloth.

My wife's father has a garage and is authorised for VW and Audi, so mechanical work will not be a problem, but computer diagnostics is. I mean, I don't want to take it to a authorised dealer if the problem is mechanical and could be fixed without hefty price tag. Any sugestions are very much welcome...

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Starting problems...

Postby AlexB » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:56 pm

If the battery is new and charged, then check the thick wire to the starter and its terminals. If it is OK, then the relay inside the starter is faulty, which means starter replacement.
Check the huge fuse on the positive terminal of the battery.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

adeathome31
Currently Drives:: megane estate 1500 Dynamyque DCI

Postby adeathome31 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm

hi alex,i bought a 2004 megane 1.5 dci and after a few days had the same problem.got car recovered to autolecs but was starting ok so no diagnosis. had new cambelt done and wouldnt start again.garage towed it to autolecs for me and diagnostics showed fusebox faulty had new one fitted{£275] atogether and seems fine now.what ive noticed is there is no runner on inside of wing and rain goes into engine compartment and directly under n/s wing is the fusebox.the seal goes and lets water in.mine was corroded and wet and too bad to clean up but check if yours is wet and see if you can clean it.ive cut an old piece of car rubber mat to fit on top now as when i put the hosepipe on it it was sooaking.what a stupid idea!all the cars ive seen have a runner to take rain away.doesnt it rain in france? i like the car and its only for work and taking my dog out but it needs to be reliable and build my confidence back in it now.if the seal on top of your fuse box has perished you may have the same problem.ade.

j1ggy

Postby j1ggy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Thanks guys! I've taken it to my father-in-law and three of his mechanics think that starter needs new brushes. One of them worked at Renault garage and he's aware of TDC and all, but is not shure if taking of the starter will immobilise the car? He sad that changing the gearbox and clutch assembly will, but is not shure about starter. Any info will be much appreciated...

Anyway, they will check it first thing tomorrow, so i'll be here with the info as soon as I know anything...

j1ggy

Postby j1ggy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Problemo solved!

It turns out that it was, just, filthy connectors on the starter, so it wasn't getting enough juice from the battery, so they've cleaned it up and applied some graphite grease on the connectors and that solved the whole deal.

Thank you, once again!

Return to “Problems / Questions”