Fed up with "Steering Not Locked"

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sum-megane

Fed up with "Steering Not Locked"

Postby sum-megane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:10 am

Hi all,

Hope I will get some help here. Got Renault Megane Dynamique 1.5 dci 106 - Model 2007. From last few months I am really fed up with a problem of starting the car. It does not happens always, may be one or two times a month. Went to Renault Garage but they can not find anything. I have to drive my car with a fear like if you park your car anywhere it would not start again or I have to wait with few tries. I think you guys know the problem but anyway I will describe what is happening with me.

Put the card into the slot and press Start/Stop button. The service light comes on, the car refuses to start. When you pull the card out it says "steering not locked". The steering wheel is physically locked the whole time however. I always park car with steering straight ahead position. Yesterday I parked my car in the car park to grab pizza. When I came back it did not start, little bit of fiddle with the steering wheel and after around 30-40 minutes car starts with few tries.

Anybody know what is happening and what is the right track to solve the problem pleas.

Cheers,

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Fed up with "Steering Not Locked"

Postby AlexB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:32 am

Looks like the communication with the steering lock controller is affected. Many modern cars suffer the same thing, BMW, Alfa, VW, etc. In many cases they replace the lock, the card reader or even the steering column. Sometimes the fault comes back, sometimes not. It seems to me that it is related to some connector being at fault. Basically, more parts the dealers replace - more likely they "wiggle" the right connector. Start with checking the lock connectors, then replace it.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

sum-megane

Postby sum-megane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks for you swift reply.

Any idea how much it will cost?? Is there any assurance that the fault will go completely or still I will to live in same fear and think twice before driving renault megane......

Cheers,

sum-megane

Postby sum-megane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Today went to renault garage to get the car checked.

All computers connected but the mechanics could not find any problem as there was nothing on the computer screen. So they said we are not sure what the problem is. I again described my problem (posted in the very first post). They said we will charge you around 300 pounds for Steering Lock but we are not sure whether the problem will go. I said, "I am ready to pay but need some surely that the problem will go away after spending the money". They clearly said no....

I said never mind, i will go back... Now the final moment comes, car did not start in the garage in front of them.... They again connected computer to the car, now it shows "Fuel Pump Error" and quoted another 500 pounds.

Really fed up with this french car. :banghead

Any body got any idea where to go now?????? :conf

neilhadwin
Currently Drives:: megane sport 225

Postby neilhadwin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 pm

hope i can help mate i am a renault tech up in cumbria.the fuel pump fault could appear because the car would not start it doesnt mean that there is a fault with it,its like if you continue to turn the engine over and wont start the computer may think theres a fault with the battery or alternator even though there isnt and the fault is elsewhere.
your lock problem sounds like the steering lock but that should show up on what we call the clip (renault computer) it could also be the card reader,meganes suffer from corrosion on the fuse/relays located n/s/f under bonnet which can bring up a whole host of electrical problems,ask your garage to check out these faults if possible.dont be put off the 1500 dci is a very good engine,if you get stuck give me an email and i will get back to you when i can i can ask my senior technician (who knows everything about renaults) for any suggestions,

kay100

Postby kay100 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm

Neilhadwin I really hope you can help me! My 52 plate renault Megane is currently at the dealers today trying to find out what the fault is with it. Sometimes and only sometimes the car does not start. I put the key in press the start button and the car doesn't start and comes up with "steering wheel locked" to overcome this problem i take the key out lock the car unlock put the key back in and press start and hey presto it starts! Sometimes the screen still says "steering wheel locked" but it some how decides to now start. My local mechanic has had the car and they have located the problem in the BSI unit. I told the dealership this and they have just phoned up telling me i need a new starter motor, new steering wheel column. But that they hadn't even looking in the BSI unit yet so how can they tell it needs all this when i specifically told them that the problem has been located in the BSI unit?? If you could shed any light on what may be wrong with i would be very grateful for any input. Surely they need to hook it up to the computer and see what faults it is giving them?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 pm

What's a BSI unit?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 am

Kay100,

The dealer wants to replace the steering column because the customer (you) mention the word "steering"; they want to replace the starter, because you complained about the car not starting. This is how these monkeys do their business. Walk away from them.

As I wrote earlier, this error message is caused by the steering column lock not responding correctly to the request coming from the network. Most likely, it is a faulty connector somewhere, less likely it is the lock itself. The lock can be replaced separately from the column, the column generates a different fault message, so leave the column alone!

As with any electrical fault one needs to start with checking the battery, fuses, ground and power wires to the affected devices. Replace the battery if yours is older than 5 years. Get the new from www.boschbatteries.co.uk, type S5. Check and clean the connector to the steering lock and cabin ECU. In any case study the system by reading the workshop manuals, see the sticky thread above, and obtain the electrical diagrams. Check the network traffic to the lock. Be aware that any other device connected to the same network segment may affect its operation, so check them too. As the last resort, replace the lock.

It is more difficult, if you want somebody else do the job for you. In this case you will need to make sure they are familiar with the system, and most of them are not...

kay100 wrote:Neilhadwin I really hope you can help me! My 52 plate renault Megane is currently at the dealers today trying to find out what the fault is with it. Sometimes and only sometimes the car does not start. I put the key in press the start button and the car doesn't start and comes up with "steering wheel locked" to overcome this problem i take the key out lock the car unlock put the key back in and press start and hey presto it starts! Sometimes the screen still says "steering wheel locked" but it some how decides to now start. My local mechanic has had the car and they have located the problem in the BSI unit. I told the dealership this and they have just phoned up telling me i need a new starter motor, new steering wheel column. But that they hadn't even looking in the BSI unit yet so how can they tell it needs all this when i specifically told them that the problem has been located in the BSI unit?? If you could shed any light on what may be wrong with i would be very grateful for any input. Surely they need to hook it up to the computer and see what faults it is giving them?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

jobyone
Currently Drives:: Renault Clio sport, Clio 1.6 and scenic 1.5 coal burner

Postby jobyone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm

hi all, after a bit of help see if you guys can get me out of a hole again.... My scenic decided not to start after dropping my bad off to nurse the other day engine was trying to fire but not starting after removing the key card error message on dash steering unlocked , I've tried a replacement Virginised steering box which clicks 3 times when trying to start and also locked out the steering error message steering locked this time, so I've had both boxes apart and used the best parts to make a working locking mechanism where the pin slides in and out nicely with my original board, having given this a try I now have the car trying to turn over with injection fault displaying on dash and on removal of key steering unlocked message ??? I've so far also replaced battery, cleaned out fuse box and connections, check wiring for rubbing/damage , cleaned and tested fuses on positive battery terminal and the usual shouting at it..... Any ideas, suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated thanks

Return to “Problems / Questions”