Handbrake adjustment

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Meggyman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in grey.
Full leather etc

Handbrake adjustment

Postby Meggyman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:02 pm

I've posted several times about my handbrake woes

The car failed its MOT because the caliper that was fitted was the incorrect type. That was Renaults fault for supplying the wrong one

Now I've got the correct one "Hurray" and fitted it ok.
It passed the MOT. The technician said that the caliper is not as efficient as the one on other side when applying the handbrake.
How can you balance the handbrake so that it pulls the same as the other side?
56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in Grey.
Full leather etc

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Handbrake adjustment

Postby davelowe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 pm

If the handbrake has an internal balancing bar then you can't adjust the cable tension manually.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. MOT tests will measure the braking difference between the front pair of wheels and the rear pair. Each pair is allowed around a 20% variation and there is another figure to take into account. The handbrake is only designed to keep the car stationary. If it works within the statuary limits, I would regard it as a non-problem. The only other solution I can think of is to replace the other calliper which in my opinion is a waste of money.

It's worth popping the trim inside and having a look at the balancing bar - if it's lop sided when the brake is applied then the problem could be the cables being of differing lengths (or not being adjusted properly at the calliper) - this should be an easy-ish fix.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”