LH Wheel has play in the 3 - 9 o'clock position.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

LH Wheel has play in the 3 - 9 o'clock position.

Postby Husky_Dog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Hello All,

I’m hoping someone can help me narrow down what problem I have with the steering system on my 2005 Megane Scenic.

The car has now done around 80,000 miles and I have noticed there is some play in the LH front wheel in the 3 – 9 o’clock position. It is not so noticeable that it is causing tire wear, or handling issues, but obviously this will slowly determinate.

Having jacked the car and removed the wheel I am unable to determine if the play is in the track rod end ball joint, or from the steering arm / box itself. When the weight is on the car there is a noticeable clunk when the wheel is wiggled from left to right.

Has anybody had a similar issue with their car? I want to avoid replacing expensive components, if this is a known defect? My first point will most likely be replacing the track rod end ball joint as this can be rolled by hand unlike the RH side which is rock solid. If anybody can confirm this is a good starting point, and what else to look for I’d be very pleased.

Any further guidance will be much appreciated.

Will.
2005 Scenic 1.9Dci 120 Exception

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: LH Wheel has play in the 3 - 9 o'clock position.

Postby davelowe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Husky_Dog wrote:...the track rod end ball joint as this can be rolled by hand unlike the RH side which is rock solid.

Can you explain what you mean by 'rolled by hand'? It very much sounds on first reading that something is loose that didn't ought to be.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:28 am

sounds like there is play in the balljoint, an easy (ish) cheap fix.

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 am

davelowe wrote:
Husky_Dog wrote:...the track rod end ball joint as this can be rolled by hand unlike the RH side which is rock solid.

Can you explain what you mean by 'rolled by hand'? It very much sounds on first reading that something is loose that didn't ought to be.

On closer inspection last night it appears that the track rod ball joints are both okay. The movement on the LH joint is not anything sinister and everything is torque loaded.

The play appears to be in the arm that goes in to the steering box on the LH side. When I pinched the bellows and had a friend move the wheel I could feel the play in this joint.

Is there a way to tighten the steering arm joint up? I guess this is like a knuckle joint that has developed some free play due to the motor way mileage.

Worst case could I be looking at a steering rack change? If so how bad is this to do – or is it a garage task?

Also the car is a left hooker that I have had from new and imported from Luxembourg. With the VIN number will I be able to get a LH drive steering rack sent over from the continent to do this job?

sav0
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci 53 Plate

Postby sav0 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 am

The whole steering rack won't need to be replaced you can buy track rod arms like these on ebay

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-02 ... 1205wt_939

I would get a garage to change these as they can be a bugger to change

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm

sav0 wrote:The whole steering rack won't need to be replaced you can buy track rod arms like these on ebay

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Megane-02 ... 1205wt_939

I would get a garage to change these as they can be a bugger to change

Thanks Sav0...

I have researched this with Renault this afternoon - The Renault PN is 7701474448 priced at around £96 inc VAT.

Now all I need to do is locate a trade counter or other online store that deals with OEM quality parts to trz and save some money... any thoughts here also welcome.

I'll let you know how I get on changing these parts (or if I give up and go to the garage). Going to replace both do to the RH having a little play begining.

Will.

sav0
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci 53 Plate

Postby sav0 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

if you do a search on ebay for the part number there is one seller selling them at £81 inc P&P.The hardest part of changing these is holding the rack whilst trying to undo getting the track rod end off without the rack twisting.

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:58 pm

sav0 wrote:if you do a search on ebay for the part number there is one seller selling them at £81 inc P&P.The hardest part of changing these is holding the rack whilst trying to undo getting the track rod end off without the rack twisting.

I have managed to get a genuine Renault tie rod PN 7701474448 from e-bay for £0.99 + £4.99 shipping :-)

Question: What is the best method of removing the old tie rod from the steering box? I notice the new tie rod has some flats close to the threaded section where it attaches to the ball joint. Can I just unscrew using a spanner or crow's foot with large lever bar? :conf

On the look out for a second tie rod - but think I will stuggle to beat the price I have already paid... :grin :rock

Any advice on this welcome...

Will.

Return to “Problems / Questions”