Megane = worst car in history of motoring

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mark78
Currently Drives:: 2004 1.6 Megane Dynamique
1989 VW Golf cabriolet

Megane = worst car in history of motoring

Postby mark78 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:07 pm

2004 1.6 Dynamique with only 38 thousand miles on the clock and one previous owner.

I have owned this car for < 6 months and it has been nothing short of a living nightmare which has already cost me over a thousand pounds in repair bills.
I have never ever experienced owning a car as faulty as this and the sooner I sell it the better. here are my problems.

within a week of owning it the passenger side window stopped working which was repaired under the garages 3 month warranty. Warranty now run out and window stops working again which I had to pay for. A few weeks after that a coil packed in so again my hand is in my pocket. Ive had 3 headlamps blow and at £8 a pop i'm just waiting for another to blow (obviously another fault somewhere). If the car is being started from cold it will cut out unless you rev the bollocks off it for a few seconds, ive tried to get this problem sorted out on 3 occasions, first time the tdc sensor was replaced then a week later same starting problem. Took it back to garage who then replace crankshaft sensor, opprox week later same starting problem. I then search on this here website and find it could be the throttle housing needs cleaning which I did and still has starting problems. It isnt the dephasor pully as that was changed before we bought the car. Ive now decided to ignore this starting issue as its cost me too much. Just last week the air con starts dripping into the passenger footwell and I now have what resembles a lake in the storage compartment under passenger seat along with a very wet carpet.

Along with all the mechanical/electrical issues above under acceleration when it reaches approx 2000rpm there is a flat/dead spot. The carpet is coming away from all corners of the cabin along with the rubber door trim on both rear doors. The parcel shelf has never fit properly which I removed after a day and to top it all off the mpg is awfull which is costing a fortune in juice due to the high pump prices.

I bought this car for a family run a round due to it being advertised as being one of the safest cars around and the ride comfort which to be honest is the only plus point I can say about it.

If anybody is thinking of buying a Megane I beg you to rethink and do not buy this French crap, Go buy German or Japanese motor. I own a mk1 Golf Cabriolet which is 21 years old and in terms of reliabilty wipes the floor with the Megane.

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Re: Megane = worst car in history of motoring

Postby dougieCC » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:39 pm

I have had most of the same problems, dephaser, two coil packs, inner track control arms, leaks ( CC so expect it) and tends to eat wiper blades, need new rear discs oh and £600 just to sort out aircon, Had the car just over a year done 30,000 miles since I got it and yes sometimes I hate the car then after a clean I realise its not that bad.
You say jap or german, well the celica has issues with its vvt engine, and my last Audi had lods of issues wheel bearings ignition packs and so on.

so goodluck, as all cars have faults you just have to be lucky and do research on them first.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:39 pm

If anybody is thinking of buying a Megane I beg you to rethink and do not buy this French crap, Go buy German or Japanese motor. I own a mk1 Golf Cabriolet which is 21 years old and in terms of reliabilty wipes the floor with the Megane.

A bit too harsh I think. My Mégane has been rock solid despite one electric wondow failure. It's like any car, there are always bad ones. And as far as german motors are concerned... I'm afraid the rock solid image is fast crumbling, seeing as Audi, Mercedes and Porsche are sitting below Renault for reliability, and Citroen is in the top ten! (www.reliabilityindex.co.uk)

And Japanese? As boring as being in a coma. Plus, the Mégane stops... the Prius doesn't always :)
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

LiamG
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 120 DCi Dynamique

Postby LiamG » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 am

Ive just sold mine but it has been the most reliable car ive had, nothing went wrong with it at all. Only decided to get rid as they are depreciating like mad and the service costs are expensive.

Think you get a few that just have problems after problems :banghead
Megane II 5dr 1.9 DCi 120 Dynamique in Yellow (yes yellow like the renaultsports) - Now Sold :(

antos
Currently Drives:: renault megane saloon

Postby antos » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Have sold mine too, last 3 months 2 window regulators, n/s ball joint, dephaser was just too much.
about a grand in repairs forced me to say goodbye to the megane.

Isaac Hunt
Learner Driver

Postby Isaac Hunt » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Couldn't agree more.

I hate my Megane and it's given me nothing but stress and sleepless nights worrying how i'm going to find money to fix the barsteward thing.

Never again. :mad

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Postby Toosh » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Mine been good for 2.5 years
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

Return to “Problems / Questions”