Rear brake caliper

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Meggyman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in grey.
Full leather etc

Rear brake caliper

Postby Meggyman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:22 am

We have a problem with the rear brake caliper on our Clio III. It looks exactly the same as the one on the back of the Megane so I thought i'd ask here if anyone has changed one and any advice and tips on how to do the job.
Basically the handbrake element of the caliper has broke according to Renault. So i've got a new caliper that they ordered for me and i'm thinking of fitting it myself to save the quoted £150 quid to fit the thing.
Surely it can't be that hard to do.
56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in Grey.
Full leather etc

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Rear brake caliper

Postby AlexB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:16 am

It is a very simple job, but you will need torx sockets, torque wrench and a brake line spanner added to your standard metric spanner and sockets kit. Winding in the pistons can be done without any special tools, just use the open end of a combination spanner (15mm?) as a screwdriver while putting a short bar through the ring as a handle; both sides are wound in clockwise. You will also need red Loctite threadlock and anti-seize grease, preferably ceramic. Prepare a plug to stop the fluid leaking out of the system and do not use brake hose clamps, as they damage the hose.

For details see this manual:
https://ray-lee.co.uk/megane/dialogys/MR364MEGANE3.pdf
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Meggyman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in grey.
Full leather etc

Postby Meggyman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 am

Absolutely great!

Cheers for that. There's reference to a "Bleeding device" that fits to the reservoir. Is it possible to do it without? And do you know what size brake line spanner i'd need?

Ian
56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in Grey.
Full leather etc

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:15 pm

I don't use any bleeding devices. Just open the reservoir under the bonnet, so the flow of escaping fluid stopped the bubbles from going up the line. Plug the line once the brake hose is removed. When putting everything together open the bleed screw on the slave cylinder -- the free running fluid will fill it up. Then just bleed it old style. Avoid emptying the system, because bleeding the ABS pump is not fun.

I can't remember the size of the brake line spanner, as I have several in this set (Sealey AK600, 10 x 11, 13 x 14, 15 x 17mm):
https://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo. ... tref=AK600
It might be 11 or 13mm.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”