Are all diesel turbo's noisy?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

darkmast3r
Learner Driver

Are all diesel turbo's noisy?

Postby darkmast3r » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi, I have a 2004 1.5dci 80, and while the engine sounds quite normal, you can notice the sound of the turbo when you are driving, especially when you put your foot down
or changing up a gear. The turbo doesnt whine loudly but is audible.

I have been told this is quite normal & my brother has a 1.9dci and I must admit, it is fairly similar in the noise department.

So... is it just the engine design or due to lack of soundproofing?

I have driven diesel vans before and you couldnt hear the turbo but the engines were bigger and louder.

It may just be me as I've driven a 1.6 megane coupe for the last 5 years and that was very quiet for an 8 valve car.....

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Are all diesel turbo's noisy?

Postby davelowe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Normal. Look where the turbo is (about 1 metre from your ears). I quite like the sound of mine - my brother's Seat is silent (so is my dad's Avensis) which kind of puts me off - got a turbo - enjoy it!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

darkmast3r
Learner Driver

Postby darkmast3r » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for the response davelowe , I get a bit too paranoid sometimes. Cant knock the car itself, gor a little 1.5 diesel it certainly has got a little bit of pull when you put ur foot down..

Newcastlewatson
Currently Drives:: Mark 2 renault megane 1.9dci 120 bhp

Postby Newcastlewatson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:57 pm

My 1.9dci will pull to 130mph but drop of then saddly but will do 135mp on the way to scotland it whistles like a dream. Saddly tho you will only see that performance imidiatly after a service and after doing that for a bit you will need another but still sweet

Liggy
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Black 2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege

Postby Liggy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm glad you guys put this post up. My car was making the turbo whistling sound, and me being paranoid, I took it to Renault, and they told me the sound was coming from the engine mount, and it needed replaced. Lol! I didn't believe them then, and this post has confirmed that they're a bunch of lying barstewards.
2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege 1.9DCI.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Newcastlewatson wrote:My 1.9dci will pull to 130mph but drop of then saddly but will do 135mp on the way to scotland it whistles like a dream. Saddly tho you will only see that performance imidiatly after a service and after doing that for a bit you will need another but still sweet

I would like to state that on no occasion in the past nor in any future possible scenario have I or would I test the maximum speed of my 1.9 on the M18 and expect to hit 135mph as indicated by the onboard speedometer in 5th gear. I do however, have it on good faith that such a feat is indeed possible, but I won't reveal my source. :wink:

Newcastlewatson
Currently Drives:: Mark 2 renault megane 1.9dci 120 bhp

Postby Newcastlewatson » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:26 pm

davelowe wrote:
Newcastlewatson wrote:My 1.9dci will pull to 130mph but drop of then saddly but will do 135mp on the way to scotland it whistles like a dream. Saddly tho you will only see that performance imidiatly after a service and after doing that for a bit you will need another but still sweet

I would like to state that on no occasion in the past nor in any future possible scenario have I or would I test the maximum speed of my 1.9 on the M18 and expect to hit 135mph as indicated by the onboard speedometer in 5th gear. I do however, have it on good faith that such a feat is indeed possible, but I won't reveal my source. :wink:

I have on good ground that my reserch into this matter was correct lol. the motorway has a decline for bout 2 mile i think but i have to say, it was night time and completly empty otherwise that would of been a white knuckle ride and a nappy filling exsperiance. and for a trump car mine has 6 gears.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Newcastlewatson wrote:
davelowe wrote:

I have on good ground that my reserch into this matter was correct lol. the motorway has a decline for bout 2 mile i think but i have to say, it was night time and completly empty otherwise that would of been a white knuckle ride and a nappy filling exsperiance. and for a trump car mine has 6 gears.

Won't do that speed in 6th though - or so I'm told having never tried it 8-)

I reckon that 1st, 3rd and 5th are all the 1.9 needs... oh and the backwards one too!

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:24 am

My turbo is a very happy camper it whistles whilst it works,,,,,,theres a song and a cartoon in there somewhere
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:13 pm

Hy there,

its absolutely normal ear the turbo whistling between the 1300rpm to the 2100rpm (more or less this values). After this engine rotation its not audible any more. I don't complaint, in fact i enjoy it and it could be useful if you start to earing it too much, in that scenario its better to check it out :)

cheers

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 120 BHP

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 am

Won't do that speed in 6th though - or so I'm told having never tried it 8-)

It does it in 6th!.. Holds a lot steadier than 5th actually.
Yes, the A1(M) was quiet near Peterborough that day/those days. :-).
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

Return to “Problems / Questions”