Scraping noise when turning steering

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

davelowe
Driving Legend

Scraping noise when turning steering

Postby davelowe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Just a quick note - I can hear a noise when turning the steering to the right. The sound is clear in the cab, but sounds like it's outside offside. Scratchy/pingy sound rather than electric motor and not clock spring (sound comes from pedal / bottom of engine area. Had a quick squint at the ball joints and springs, but nothing seems amiss.

Any thoughts before I go out and get very wet inspecting stuff?? Steering rack? Something dead obvious?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Re: Scraping noise when turning steering

Postby IainMW » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 am

Top suspension bearing/mount possibly?

Had mine replaced for a similar noise
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 pm

IainMW wrote:Top suspension bearing/mount possibly?

Had mine replaced for a similar noise

That sounds about right. Since the job looks certain to involve a spring compressor - I will be having to entrust it to my friendly mechanic. What, do you mind me asking, did you pay for the bearing/mount? Was it from a dealership, or did you source it yourself?

Cheers.

4737carlinsir

Postby 4737carlinsir » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:11 pm

I did both of mine a couple of weeks ago. You can get the bearings for about £15 a side from ebay, I've seen ~£145 a side from a dealer mentioned elsewhere. I didnt bother though, I found the bearings to be fine if a little dry so regreased and refitted. After putting up with the 'clunking' for a couple of years its like driving a brand new car now.

If you want to test for this get someone to turn the wheel from lock to lock ahile you watch the struts rotate. If the bearings are naff the movement wont be smooth, it'll go in jolts as the tension of the spring get too great; its this that causes the noise.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 pm

4737carlinsir wrote:I did both of mine a couple of weeks ago. You can get the bearings for about £15 a side from ebay, I've seen ~£145 a side from a dealer mentioned elsewhere. I didnt bother though, I found the bearings to be fine if a little dry so regreased and refitted. After putting up with the 'clunking' for a couple of years its like driving a brand new car now.

If you want to test for this get someone to turn the wheel from lock to lock ahile you watch the struts rotate. If the bearings are naff the movement wont be smooth, it'll go in jolts as the tension of the spring get too great; its this that causes the noise.

Cheers for that advice - I'll get someone to turn the wheel while I observe both sides.

Very interesting point about the bearings and the springs. I wonder how many springs have been broken by defective bearings?

Interestingly, the rears both make clunking sounds when going over large bumps. I haven't looked at the layout of the rear shocks, but I wonder if 'dry' bearings might be the problem there too.

Thanks again.

Return to “Problems / Questions”