"Injection fault" error message megane 1.9dci dynamique 2003

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Mezzymegane
Currently Drives:: megane 3 door 1.9dci 120 blue.

"Injection fault" error message megane 1.9dci dynamique 2003

Postby Mezzymegane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could advise me on an issue I have with my 2003 (53) renault megane 1.9dci 120 dynamique.

Basically every now and then, I get the message pop up on the screen "injection fault" and the
STOP light comes on and the car cuts out (asthough i've stalled it).

I press the start button and the car tries to start but fails. After a few presses/attempts to start the car, it eventually starts up.

However when I accelerate, it feels like the engine is missing, i.e miss-firing for a few miles, then seems ok.

But I do not lose any power it seems... still accelerates well, just jumpy for a while, or till you go over certain revs/speed

I took the car to my local garage, he put it on the diagnostic machine and found no faults.

I originally thought i've picked up some dirty diesel, and something has blocked an injector or something, so I've treated the fuel with injector/fuel cleaner hoping this would clear anything that may be blocking the injector(s).

However, this has done nothing, I still get the error message pop up. Usually this message occurs when i stop, and then drive off (like stop at a junction, then start to pull out)

A very anoying problem (and a worry in case this happens in the 3rd lane of a motorway)

Has anyone had/got this error on their car? and found or know why this is happening, and how to rectify?

Thankyou.
Last edited by Mezzymegane on Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: "Injector fault" error message megane 1.9dci dynamique 2003

Postby davelowe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:26 pm

Have you tried replacing the fuel filter and inspecting the filter bottle for water?

The filters are less than a tenner, and should be replaced (insert applicable interval - probably every 18k or two years). You'll find a big black bottle behind the front section of the driver's side wheel arch cover. It has some quick release fuel hoses and a wiring connector. Remove all and lift it up and away from the car. Mark the alignment between the top half and the bottom. Unscrew the lid (T20 or T27), and replace the element (make sure inside is clean). Replacement is the reverse procedure. Prime the fuel system after by squeezing the black 'bulb' shaped rubber thing behind the window bottle (remove a small piece of under bonnet trim for access - you'll recognise it when you see it).

Another possibility is that there is a tiny pin prick hole in the fuel line which will admit air under load (but not leak). Check the transparent fuel high pressure return hose for bubbles. It's a kind of corrugated type pipe at the front of the engine on the drivers side.

There are other possibilities such as glow plugs and the glow plug relay and interrelated wiring. Check the plug resistances with a multimeter. Each should measure 0.6 Ohms or thereabouts.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: "Injector fault" error message megane 1.9dci dynamique 2003

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 am

Mezzymegane,

The message on your dash reads "Injection Fault" and not "Injector Fault". There is a big difference between these. Basically, the computer tells you that there is a fault detected in the engine management system, and its code is prepared for reading. I don't know why the garage failed to read the code, try the other one who are more able, or do it yourself with your laptop.

Apart from the fault code one needs to look at the live engine parameters to check sensors. Record them while driving. This all makes sense only if the car was recently serviced with original filters and oil. The car of this age must have a new battery.

I agree with Dave regarding possible causes. Add to these the dirty/malfunctioning EGR valve. They need to be cleaned now and then, especially if supermarket fuel or unknown oil was used at any time.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Mezzymegane

Re: "Injection fault" error message megane 1.9dci dynamique 2003

Postby Mezzymegane » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the info, sorry I havent responded sooner, for some reason, when someone replys on here, it does NOT send me a notification saying that someone has responded to my question.

I will try what you both suggested and see how I go.

Mezzy

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:39 pm

there is a tick box just above submit - "Notify me when a reply is posted"
by default, it's unticked

Martin190184
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE SCENIC DYNAMIQUE DCI 1.9

Re: "Injection fault" error message megane 1.9dci dynamique

Postby Martin190184 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:52 pm

I have the exact same model & year,
I took my car to 3 places who could not find any problem codes in the car even though it said check injection.
I finally bit the bullet and took it into Arnold clark who charged me £72.00 and told me it was my glow plugs.
Was a kick in the balls.

Mezzymegane

Postby Mezzymegane » Thu May 13, 2010 9:36 am

Hi All,

Thanks for all the ideas, however it was not any of the above.

I found out it was the "injection computer" that was faulty.

I had to take this to Renault Wolverhampton, who connected loads of computers to my Megane, and traced the fault to this "injection computer".

Once they telephoned me and told me the total cost, I was very shocked.

The part itself was: £620.00
Diagnostic report was: £142.00
The labour for fitting/removing part: £364.00
VAT: £197.05

TOTAL COST: £1323.05.

Mez.
Last edited by Mezzymegane on Sat May 15, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu May 13, 2010 1:47 pm

That is criminal charging. Aside from the cost of the new unit, you could probably save a fortune on the labour and diagnostics by taking the car to an auto-electrician who has a Renault CLIP setup. Removing the ECU takes about 20 minutes. Same for putting it back.

Ukkie
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.5dci

Postby Ukkie » Sat May 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi ! I'm new on this forum,and Dutch, so sorry if my english is not written right....
we have a 2003 1.5 dci sedan and just home from a 10-days trip to Germany.
We also had the same problems..at de German highway ! :oops:
we had the same fault message (at least 5 times !) at the info-panel, and it felt like the angine
was running on 3 cilinders....
I took the angine cover away, so I could see the topside of the angine
and just touched/moved, the injectors-connectors a little, one by one,
and with the third one,the angine runned smoothly again !
At home this morning, I checked this connector again, and found some green corrotion at the inside the connector
mayby this will help you.....

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Nice one Ukkie!

jobyone
Currently Drives:: Renault Clio sport, Clio 1.6 and scenic 1.5 coal burner

Postby jobyone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:55 pm

hi all, after a bit of help see if you guys can get me out of a hole again.... My scenic decided not to start after dropping my bad off to nurse the other day engine was trying to fire but not starting after removing the key card error message on dash steering unlocked , I've tried a replacement Virginised steering box which clicks 3 times when trying to start and also locked out the steering error message steering locked this time, so I've had both boxes apart and used the best parts to make a working locking mechanism where the pin slides in and out nicely with my original board, having given this a try I now have the car trying to turn over with injection fault displaying on dash and on removal of key steering unlocked message ??? I've so far also replaced battery, cleaned out fuse box and connections, check wiring for rubbing/damage , cleaned and tested fuses on positive battery terminal and the usual shouting at it..... Any ideas, suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated thanks

Return to “Problems / Questions”