Engine stalls when idling

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

damo0307
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT

Engine stalls when idling

Postby damo0307 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi,

I have recently bought a Reenault Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT, To start with everything was fine until recently when there the car has been stalling at low revs. Once revs are applied 3000 or so the engine stays on and the car will drive fine if not a little sluggish from time to time. It would appear that the car does try to raise the revs to keep the engine going but generally fails. I have had it on a diagnostic and there was a fuel pump relay fault found but was informed it would have to go to renault to rectify this. Could this be the cause of the fault?
Or could this also be due to a faulty ignition coil/coils?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Damon

ebeneezer
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Dynamique 16V

Re: Engine stalls when idling

Postby ebeneezer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi Damon,

Its a common fault, especially after a cold start. Mine revs and as soon as engage reverse the revs drop quite considerably, and is like a boneshaker until it warms up. It is fine somedays when standing start and others it's as jumpy as zebedee.

To improve overall best to clean the throttle body first and if still problems then see if the fuel pump is the problem.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Re: Engine stalls when idling

Postby IainMW » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Two words

Dephaser Pulley :dead

Search the forum you will find lots of info!
:cool:

Actually it could be a number of things, all of which will be in the various threads. I am sure you will have fun reading!
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Problems / Questions”