1.9 dci EGR valve problems

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

colbarnett
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Honda Accord Tourer Sport 2.2 Diesel

1.9 dci EGR valve problems

Postby colbarnett » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:12 pm

I have a 2003 Megane 1.9 dci, I have just cleaned the EGR valve, and now i have a loss of power.

when i put the valve back in all seemed fine as it knocked the check injection light out on the dash and seemed to be running fine, until i took it for a spin.
as there is no power top end well above 25mph really & light now back on.

I was wondering if the valve was now sticking, is there anything else i can do ? or I'm i looking at a new valve ?

all was fine until i cleaned the valve other than i had the check injection warning on the dash, but they was no problem with the power.

I have not touched anything else only cleaned the EGR valve & now have this problem.

anyone have any idea's ?

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Re: 1.9 dci EGR valve problems

Postby pw981 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:28 pm

you could try going to Renault to get the EGR Valve re-initialised via CLIP, Renault's diagnostic software... other than that, the valve itself maybe faulty? Thats if the fault codes do relate to the valve, do you know what fault codes are showing up?
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

colbarnett
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Honda Accord Tourer Sport 2.2 Diesel

Postby colbarnett » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:00 am

It's sorted now, i took it for a longer run, and is running fine now, power back to what it should be.
I think it just needed a bit of a run to clear itself, thanks for the reply anyway.

pjsmoothie

Postby pjsmoothie » Sun May 16, 2010 3:12 pm

I had the same trouble with mine, it wouldn't go above 30MPH, then i booted it up the road, put my foot to the floor and a load of black crap came out the exhaust ( looked like something out of wacky racers) then it was fine after-wards. i came down the same road later on and i could see a black line about 2mtrs long in the road.

Truckerdave
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 dci, 55 plate

Postby Truckerdave » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 am

A few weeks ago I started to lose power on my 1.9 dci, I got the fault code on the dash saying "Regenerate soot filter" and "Check Ignition", I've been told it could be down to the EGR valve, when I pull away from kerbside the power seems fine, but when I get to a hill there is big lack of power until I get just over 2000 rpm then I get a power boost and it goes like hell, any idea's ? :banghead

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 am

It's in the driver's handbook for the car...
You need to regenerate the soot filter by driving fast for 20 minutes, if it is not too late. If late, then it will be very expensive.

This is a price to pay for Euro 4 emissions standard. This filter removes the soot from exhaust and needs to run very hot periodically in order to burn this soot. These filters are also known as DPF or FAP.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Keyholder
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Mgf 1.8 (1996) ( currently in the garage )
1.9dci Renault Megane 3rd Dynamic (2003 ) - De-cat, Remap - Larger intercooler - Head ported and polished - Custom made pipe work. ( currently on teh front garden in bits )
1.6 Maxim Renault megane (56 plate ) ( ready for the scrap pile )
Currently driving Mondeo 2.0 TDCI

Postby Keyholder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:11 pm

When i brought my megane off some pikey i had to fix alot of hassle due to his lame ass maintence on his but now my megane. No boost, loads of smoke, no power barley. etc etc etc

so stripped and repaired the turbo but the biggest mess was the EGR Which was so blocked i couldnt actually see the rod in the middle of the EGR vavle it was that bad, It was thick glupey oiley sludgey mess. inlet manifold was also blocked up due to no gasses being able to pass through due to past turbo failure the pikey said he got sorted which obviously wasnt.

SO stripped the whole lot down cleaned the manifold best i could etc then brought this bad boy..

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product. ... el-cleaner - This ones for diesel as it contains lubricants for the pump.

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product. ... on-remover - This ones for petrol but will work in diesels its just it doesnt contain lubricants for the diesel pump. but it wont do no harm !

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product. ... r-with-dpl - I use this in everytank full just to maintain peak effectivenss rather than waste money on other cleaners.

s&hit-fit also stock the petrol model for £20 but not the diesel and they will tell you that there isnt one for diesel but now u know there is so dont listen to thier speil and just buy it.. when they offer u to put it in ur tank just say no its not empty and youll be putting it in an empty tank.

best use, pour 100% of the can into an empty tank fill to the brim, reset trip meter, use 3/4 of a tank of fuel then refill to the top again. even with a quater of a tank of fuel then being refilled its still stronger than ANY other cleaner material on the shelf that you can buy. even shell optimax and BP ultimate, If you use forte dont bother its just as good as 98 ron fuel so youre wasting your money.

Its an amazing cleaner, infact the best ive come across.. anything Exhaust gasses touch this will remove it. before my EGR was an oil sludge pit now its dried black sut. as it should be!!

It will clean all exhaust routes, Turbo vaines, manifold, exhasut, lamba sensor, cat,(s) infact if you are having injector problems which i was then i strongly suggest u try this first. from the tank to the exhasut anything this fluid touches it will clean! it will increase your mpg, reduce your emmisions etc..

cant say no more really, they really are brilliant cleaners.. I strongly suggest anyone to try it for themselves knowing how crap these renaults can run. ive tried pretty much every cleaner out there and this wins hands down with an actual notciable difference in the car and my wallet :)

Return to “Problems / Questions”