Keycard repair

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Re: Keycard repair

Postby Paddy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 pm

davelowe wrote:Neglected factoids about the AA:

1. They used to issue proper chrome style badges that you would fix to the front of your car (1950s style).
2. If an AA 'official' was to pass your car in the opposite direction, they were required to salute you military style on seeing the badge.

Source: my dad

Yea you sometimes see the older cars with the chrome AA badges. These days its a film to stick on the window... poor job.

Interesting lad.

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:14 pm

oh, so thats what the AA are...thanks for the explanation and good luck for those who needs the help of the other AA, Alcoholics Anonymous. best of luck to you guys, i believe you can get rid of that!

cheers!

DevonDad
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9dci 120 Estate Dynamic

Postby DevonDad » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 pm

I am currently trying to open my key card, I have gone round the seals but I can't prise apart the clips, any hints anyone?

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:23 pm

hi there,

I advise you to go to this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13778#p84778

cheers

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Here we are again folks. More probs with the old keycard! I have written quite a bit in various posts about keycards. No doubt there will be more....
This particular problem comes complete with resolution!

The car was unlocked using the keycard (NOT hands-free type), driven about 2 miles and parked. It was then found that the lock/unlock facility would not work at all. The card would enable the car to start. Checked card battery - no difference. Spare card was at home 208 miles away. (Note to self, always take spare card you imbecile!)
This was very inconvenient as car had to be left parked by the roadside for several days unlocked. Getting into the boot to load luggage etc was awkward. Blasted Renaults! Verdammte keycards!
Upon return home tried the spare card and lock/unlock worked fine. Phew. Card is the problem, not the car.
Once again I opened the card - getting the hang of this now having done it so often. Extreme care needed. Not so easy as cracking open a crab shell!
Could find nothing wrong inside. Dry joints can be a problem. Went over them all with a fine soldering iron, thin solder and a steady hand. No good. The switches sometimes play up but all three worked OK - confirmed by operating and checking continuity. These simple items are small copper discs that make use of the "oil-can effect", very common in electronics now.
Out of desperation I examined the PCB using an eye glass and compared it to a spare card I bought from ebay last year. I was amazed to find a resistor missing!! With care (and the fine-tipped soldering iron), I removed the resistor from the spare card and fitted it to my original. Eureka - it worked!! But where had the resistor gone? I can only guess that because of bad joints, it dropped off and fell out when I opened the case. Perhaps it received a knock which helped to dislodge it. Whatever, the replacement will not be coming off!
I attach a couple of photos. The red lines show the offending item. The card on the left is normal card. Card on the right is hands-free. Latter contains many more components than the former. I was told at the Renault garage that all cards are the same which was clearly not accurate. However there is nothing on the case to distinguish between normal and hands-free so perhaps the error is understandable. It is very unlikely that any Renault technician has actually opened a card. Only us "Freds in sheds" would spare the time to do that!
Back in my early days of electronics (1956!), PCBs were covered with chunky resistors and capacitors, pushed through and soldered from the back. The modern miniscule items are called SMD (Surface Mount Devices) and sit on the board. If you already knew that, apologies.
I mentioned ebay earlier. Because of rising prices, it is almost impossible now to get a bargain spare card. Some sellers claim they can be reprogrammed. They cannot. They are only useful for spares ie coil, switches ( and resisitors....)
Wish I had bought more... The immobiliser parts of the cards are the same ie the coils.
Is this post of any use or interest to anybody?

Mike

https://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1332/keycard1.jpg
https://img859.imageshack.us/img859/9930/keycard2.jpg

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Fascinating read yet again Mike.

As for the old school electronics, I just restored a pair of Leak TL/25+ valve amplifiers (circa 1960). Now that is engineering made easy: upend the blocks to see the PCB, then solder. How the hell did you manage to fit SMD components by hand? You must have nerves of steel - I can't do that (unless I've had a drink) :cool:
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

It was not easy Dave! You need three hands - one to hold the SMD, another to hold the solder and the third to hold the iron!
I held the resistor in place with a small screwdriver and used the iron to anchor it temp at one end to the existing bed of solder. Then soldered/fluxed the other end. Then soldered/fluxed the first end. Voila! Checked the result visually using the old eye glass (essential when you are getting on a bit!). Finally confirmed good connection and no short circuits using continuity meter. If you look closely you will see that a track runs directly beneath this resistor but is not connected to it. Flooding the joints with solder could cause more problems.
All the best, Mike

Return to “Problems / Questions”