Oil Gauge?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

rhys1506
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault Megane 1.5 DCi

Oil Gauge?

Postby rhys1506 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:40 pm

I have got a 1.5l DCi Megane 2006 and noticed that over the past 1 week that a smell of Oil or Diesil from the cockpit (through the air vents) and around the car, I have not noticed any dip in the fuel consumption and as i do about 70 miles a day i would notice

When i turn on the car i get this following message on the digital display when start up

"Oil Levels OK"

and

|0 0 _ _ _ _ |

I have no idea what this gauge is and i have tried to read the handbook but its like a finding a needle in a haystack in there and as i dont know what it is i cant look in the index :banghead . Im assuming it may be to do with the oil levels but i have checked the dip stick and it seems to be fine

It is due a service and has been for about 7k miles but have been strapped for cash so couldnt do it

Can anyone help or have any idea what to do would be much appriciated?

Thanks
Renault Megane II 1.5l DCi 2006

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Re: Oil Gauge?

Postby IainMW » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Welcome along :cool:

The display is telling you the oil level in the engine. If the display (electronic dip-stick) was all 0's then it would be at it's maximum level, if it was all - - - - -'s then you need oil

You need some oil in your engine. The grade you need is fully synthetic 5W40 ACEA B4 (Renault standard REN 710) unless you have a particle filter fitted? then it needs the be ACEA C3/C4 REN 720 standard.

You also need to find out if you have a oil or fuel leak? If you are getting fumes inside the car, you could very well have?

Going past your scheduled service interval is not a good idea. You might be cash strapped but a blown turbo because of poor lubrication will cost you serious money.

5ltrs of oil (reasonable 5W40 synthetic) and a genuine Renault filter should cost you no more than £35. A Turbo replacement will cost a lot more!
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

rhys1506

Postby rhys1506 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Im getting my car booked in for a service tomorrow, I will mention the smell of fuel/oil and see what they say hopefully they dont hit my wallet to much. Not knowing much about cars is a hinderance sometimes but you make mistakes to learn from them. Thanks for the advice.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:10 pm

If you want to investigate further without too much hassle, jack up the car and remove the under tray (around 6 10mm socket bolts). Have a look at the tray. Has it got oil on it? If it has, get a lamp and have a good look upwards. See if you can spot the source of the leak. If it's all clean, check the exhaust smoke for a blue colour. If it passes that test, change the oil and filter and see what happens.

Pretty much what Ian said really.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

rhys1506

Postby rhys1506 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Got the car checked over becuase of the smell of fuel and the Fuel Injector line is leaking small amounts of diesil causing the smell of diesil coming through the air vents, lets just hope it doesnt cost to much £££

Thanks

Return to “Problems / Questions”