Clutch Problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ajsaville
Learner Driver

Clutch Problem

Postby ajsaville » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Just started having trouble engaging gears. With engine off depress clutch i can select gears ok but with engine running depress clutch i can no longer engage any gears also noticed the clutch pedal does return to its normal position.The car is a 1.5dci on a 06 plate meganeII.I was just wondering if this is a common problem with them and maybe the cable can be adjusted to rectify the problem.Any help will be appreciated.

Alan

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Clutch Problem

Postby davelowe » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:29 pm

You can't adjust the cable because the clutch is hydraulic (well on most models).

I'm rather intrigued that you can select gears with the engine not running but cannot when started. This may indicate a dual mass flywheel problem. Then again it may not.

As this is all pure speculation, you might want to read the recent post about the spring that returns the clutch pedal failing, bleeding air out of the system, master/slave cylinder problems and engine/transmission mounts.

Have you had a new clutch fitted recently, and what is the mileage of the car?

In other words, I don't really know.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ajsaville
Learner Driver

Postby ajsaville » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Dave.Just checked the clutch problem again in daylight and it seems the clutch pedal is not returning home to its normal position.So i will check if its the return spring causing the problem.If i can find the link to the post.

drombowman
Currently Drives:: 1.9dci 53 megane 2

Postby drombowman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:54 pm

hi guys.

i've had the same problem with the pedel not returning on a 1.9dci on a 53 plate, mine was the slave clyinder was leaking and the dual mass flywheel had loads of play. good luck as to get the box out the whole bed has to come off and some of the bolts round the box arn't the easiest to get out !, mine's all stripped ready for the heart attack at the the parts place in the morning !

del

Hog
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6 vvt dynamique

Postby Hog » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 am

del's right, clutch pedal not returning is 9 times out of 10 the slave cylinder, usually a crack in it. take it to the garage and take your credit card (preferably your partners!)
1.6 vvt Meg

zaid
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane dci 1.9 3dr 2003
Renault Megane dci 1.5 3dr 2006
Renualt 5 GT Turbo (raider) 1990
Honda CBR600RR 2004

Postby zaid » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Allan,
sorry to hear about your problem,
my problem was when the spring broke and sat at an awkward angle not allowing the pedal to return to its normal place causing the clutch to slip as if the pedal was continuously pressed half way but this did not change the biting point at all, however in your case it sounds like the release/biting point on your clutch has changed due to either worn clutch pressure plate or slave cylinder.
Zaid.

drombowman
Currently Drives:: 1.9dci 53 megane 2

Postby drombowman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 pm

hope u have more luck than me put all the bits back yesterday with the new dual mass flywheel clutch and slave cylinder and the brand new slave has failed and is bleeding stright into the box again ! so now gotta split it all again and get another slave. and was ment to be going on holiday on friday ! which is now not happening as i've already spent £600 on 3 parts !
del

malky
Currently Drives:: 1.5 dci

Postby malky » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:11 pm

I have a similar problem with my 56 plate 15dci 86,on occasions it jams in gear when pulling away from traffic lights etc , also when idleing I get a bad vibration which goes when the clutch pedal is depressed three of my work colleagues have the same cars and have identical problems.

Return to “Problems / Questions”