clutch pedal height adjustment

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

zaid
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane dci 1.9 3dr 2003
Renault Megane dci 1.5 3dr 2006
Renualt 5 GT Turbo (raider) 1990
Honda CBR600RR 2004

clutch pedal height adjustment

Postby zaid » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 am

alright peeps,
i have managed to readjust the clutch pedal height to half way.
i have done this by depressing the clutch pedal all the way to the footwell which activates the self adjusting mechanism, so when relaesed it will position the pedal to take the slack out of it (under normal circumstances - but being an idiot!)
rather than relaeseing the pedal, i re pressed it half way through!!! which postioned the pedal there (i hope that makes sense!) so now i have the pedal sitting half way where it should be and my lovely clutch is slipping.
i have tried depressing it many times. but obviously it only adjust but taking the slack out of the clutch and not the other way.
and now to the question - how do i release the ratchet adjustment mecahnism??

Thanks in advance for any help
Zaid.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: clutch pedal height adjustment

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 pm

How odd. Have you tried pulling it back up with your foot? I thought the self adjustment worked to combat clutch wear. The problem may be the master / slave cylinders (assuming you have a hydraulic clutch). What model do you have?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

zaid
Honda CBR600RR 2004

Postby zaid » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi Dave,
its the 1.9 dci hydraulic clutch.
i have tried pulling it back, not using too much pressure.
it happened on the way to work this morning, so only had a quick 2min look, i noticed a cable (wire) that goes to the passenger footwell, but i dont know what it does or where it goes.
i am going home now (20 mile journey) to give it a bash as i cant be using the car while the clutch is slipping as its putting unneccesary pressure on the release bearing and pressure plate,

i have the haynes manual at home, so will try throwing it at the car as hard as possible :grin

i have changed my prev user profile from "Z" to "Zaid".
FYI. the clutch has never slipped before, and i believe that the problem has all to do with the positioning of the clutch pedal.

zaid
Honda CBR600RR 2004

Postby zaid » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 am

so.....
got the car home yday eve while being very light on the accelerator.
got my head down the footwell, and noticed a spring that looks like a valve spring that push's the clutch pedal back was broken, but that wasnt the whole problem, as the spring mechanism had no compression one side swivles on a pin and the other is pressed in a gap and the pressure of the spring would hold it there. As there wasnt the correct pressure load any more, the spring mech. swivled and sat at a different angle not allowing the peddle to return to its correct position, i bodged it with a spring that has similar compression/size etc, order one from renaults tomorrow.
The car drives fine and all is well, just in time for fridays Euro road trip.
Sorry i cant give actually names of these parts or exactly what they do, but im sure someone knows what im talking about, im not making this up, honestly!!

the man in the garage yday said i needed a new clutch quoted £700! how about that!
thanks for help.
Zaid

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Zaid,

This is a fix that I haven't come across before (others may have). Can you make a note of the part number when it arrives, and possibly take one or two photographs (access permitting). I think it would make a helpful thread that could be stickied.

Saving £700 is always nice :D
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

zaid
Honda CBR600RR 2004

Postby zaid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:40 am

renault do not sell the spring alone but the whole clutch pedal assembly at £280??
but they confirmed that they no longer use this spring????
I will take a picture and try to illustrate on weekend.

MeganeDy
Currently Drives:: Megane Dynamique 2003

Postby MeganeDy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Good Afternoon
I have just found this thread and it seems to be the answer to my Megane problem.
The clutch pedal has just suddenly lost the small initial soft bit of travel before you feel the resistance of depressing the actual clutch. It
does not return to the same height as usual, being lower by a couple of centimeters. So my thought is, has a spring gone?
The clutch does slip a bit if you accelerate as you are going along although it is not noticeable if don't know about the problem.
My question is, does this sound to be just a problem with the pedal/cable not returning and therefore not letting the clutch engage totally, and thus causing the slippage? Or is the clutch really going at 40,000 miles of my wife's gentle driving?!
Your experience/advice will be gratefully received if it stops me replacing the clutch for no good reason!
If it's OK to leave as is, can the offending spring mentioned in the above thread be done without?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi,

I'm almost sure that it will get worse if not repaired. As it is slipping anyway, then just part exchange the car... The clutch is usually replaced together with DMF, which will cost £1000+. There is a danger that the slave cylinder may fail suddenly, they occasionally do it as the plastic gets older.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

MeganeDy

Postby MeganeDy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Thank you AlexB
I will see if the pedal can be corrected some how. I purchased another vehicle today so will be selling my Megane if anyone is interested!
Regards.
Michael

maxgough
Currently Drives:: megane11 1.9dci sport saloon 120

Postby maxgough » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:02 am

I have a 1.9dci.my clutch pedal made a loud crack noise,the clutch was slipping.when i got home on close inspection i found the spring had broken and half of it was on the floor,I managed to remove the other half which put clutch right.when i called renault they said through it away we don't use them anymore,so i did.that was 3 years ago the clutch has bee fine (touch wood) it's now done 127000 miles

MeganeDy

Postby MeganeDy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Thank you Maxgough
Really appreciate replies and advice/encouragement given.
I will take courage and have a good look at the pedal etc. and hopefully experience similar success!
Best regards.
Michael

Return to “Problems / Questions”