headlamps stopped working

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

me-and-my-renault
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4

headlamps stopped working

Postby me-and-my-renault » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:44 am

went and started the car last night, and BOTH the auto headlapms didnt come on, so i tried to put them on manually, but still no joy :(
its just BOTH the side lights that come on,
BOTH the spot lights come on,
the lights go off when ignition is turned off,
i looked in the fuse bay next to the glove box, and dont see a sign for headlights :(

is there a fuse for them?

and what is the remote chance off both bulbs going POP t the same time :hm

the car is a 1.4 52plate meganeII petrol,.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: headlamps stopped working

Postby davelowe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:16 pm

According to the wiring diagram there is no fuse in the glovebox for the headlamps - they are in the engine multiplex module.

It's possible that both bulbs have gone at the same time (but unusual).

I must say I'm a bit puzzled by this. Both head lamp units share the same earth point and besides sidelights, headlights and main beam are all earthed through a common connection. Since you say the side lights and main beam work it cannot be an earthing fault.

The other odd thing is that both headlamps are fused separately by fuses F8B and F8C in the engine multiplex module. It would be very odd if they both went at the same time too.

Unless I'm missing something, I would check the bulbs first. The engine multiplex module (on the 03 1.9 model at least) is difficult to get at. From memory I think you have to to remove the battery and tray and maybe the ECU. Then there are a lot of fuses and I'm not sure if they are marked, so you will be checking a lot of things and spending a long time on the job.

It could be the switch or loom or automatic lights circuit that is to blame. Best check the online manual links section for further information (I have never mastered it).

Do any other lights malfunction?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

bucky
Learner Driver

Postby bucky » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

I had both blubs blow on mine at the same time when it was in the dealer being serviced, or so they told me!! When I questioned what were the chances of them blowing at the same time I was told it was more common that you might think.
megane cc 106dci 57reg quartz

me-and-my-renault

Postby me-and-my-renault » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:54 pm

davelowe wrote:According to the wiring diagram there is no fuse in the glovebox for the headlamps - they are in the engine multiplex module.

It's possible that both bulbs have gone at the same time (but unusual).

I must say I'm a bit puzzled by this. Both head lamp units share the same earth point and besides sidelights, headlights and main beam are all earthed through a common connection. Since you say the side lights and main beam work it cannot be an earthing fault.

The other odd thing is that both headlamps are fused separately by fuses F8B and F8C in the engine multiplex module. It would be very odd if they both went at the same time too.

Unless I'm missing something, I would check the bulbs first. The engine multiplex module (on the 03 1.9 model at least) is difficult to get at. From memory I think you have to to remove the battery and tray and maybe the ECU. Then there are a lot of fuses and I'm not sure if they are marked, so you will be checking a lot of things and spending a long time on the job.

It could be the switch or loom or automatic lights circuit that is to blame. Best check the online manual links section for further information (I have never mastered it).

Do any other lights malfunction?

everything else is working fine, :?

me-and-my-renault

Postby me-and-my-renault » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:57 pm

bucky wrote:I had both blubs blow on mine at the same time when it was in the dealer being serviced, or so they told me!! When I questioned what were the chances of them blowing at the same time I was told it was more common that you might think.

ill have to check the bulbs 1st then :)

what kind are they? h2? h3? h4?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 pm

H7 at a guess.

AlunWJS
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 'Sport Tourer' (estate) 1.6vvt, March 2004
MGB GT 1798cc 1970

Postby AlunWJS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:58 am

Yep, check the bulbs first (assuming you can get to them...)

I had both bulbs go at the same time, much to my disbelief, and I know of others who have as well.

I do wonder though if perhaps one had gone and I hadn't noticed, then the other went some time later. Much more noticeable when there's no light at the front!
2004 Megane 'Sport Tourer' 1.6vvt (the one with all the problems! but to be fair has never let me down and is currently driving beautifully.......)

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Postby dougieCC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Is it true that when one bulb goes it puts stress on the other bulb as less resistance for the power?.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:29 pm

dougieCC wrote:Is it true that when one bulb goes it puts stress on the other bulb as less resistance for the power?.

Alan

I don't think so. The alternator should have a constant output voltage and the bulbs are wired in parallel not series, so there should be no measurable difference in resistance that each bulb sees. It follows that each bulb will only receive the same power (V x I) compared to when any number of bulbs are connected.

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Postby dougieCC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm

davelowe wrote:
dougieCC wrote:Is it true that when one bulb goes it puts stress on the other bulb as less resistance for the power?.

Alan

I don't think so. The alternator should have a constant output voltage and the bulbs are wired in parallel not series, so there should be no measurable difference in resistance that each bulb sees. It follows that each bulb will only receive the same power (V x I) compared to when any number of bulbs are connected.

Aaargh so garages tell lies :-)

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

me-and-my-renault

Postby me-and-my-renault » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:12 pm

well, they said that both headlamp bulbs had blown :(

got it sorted now tho :)

Return to “Problems / Questions”