bust altenator?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

anth_dci
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II DCi 120 Dynamique 52 plate

bust altenator?

Postby anth_dci » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:42 pm

This is for my bothers 1.2 clio, i know its not a megane but the same princple applies so im hoping someone can confirm my diagnosis of bust altenator.

Symptoms:
car wont start without a jump, wont even turn over, no lights no fans etc,

when driving if you turn the lights on it dies

put a multimeter over the terminals, didnt get any reading at all, but this could be because its a cheap old one so that might be at fault.

opinions appriciated
Megane II dynamique 1.9 DCI 120bhp, 5 door, 52 plate.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: bust altenator?

Postby AlexB » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:50 pm

Replace the battery. As it drives after jump, the alternator is good.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

anth_dci
Advanced Driver

Postby anth_dci » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm

forgot to mention, it had a new battery in december. with it cutting out as soon as u turn the lights on leads me to the alt?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:35 pm

No, usually this leads to the battery. I the alternator is dead, the car would die immediately after disconnecting the jump leads.

Bad contacts can also cause cutting out when light are switched on, but then the lights would be operational in the mornings.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08 pm

I'm tending to agree. The battery may well be to blame. However, it's odd for a new battery to fail so soon.

Alternators do not work well without a load. I would look at the connections between the two and earths. It's possible that there is an alternator fault which has lead to premature battery death (by discharge), but I very much doubt it.

If possible get an accurate battery voltage reading when cold, and a reading when the car is running. This should help with the diagnosis.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:05 am

Dave,

The battery was discharged to zero every night since some time in December, assume 20 times. It might be dead by now anyway. Furthermore, Clio owners tend to find very unusual makes of batteries, which are not Bosch or Varta.

Voltage readings show three things: if the battery is charged or not, if the battery has a shortened cell and if the alternator is charging. Batteries that have lost their capacity charge quicker!

anth_dci,

I agree with Dave, check the voltage directly on the battery when the engine is not running. Do it with and without lights. It can be a resistive contact somewhere. I hope, the battery terminals are clean and covered with lithium grease. Check if all wires are connected to the positive terminal and the large fuse is OK.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:30 pm

AlexB wrote:The battery was discharged to zero every night since some time in December, assume 20 times. It might be dead by now anyway.

I can't argue that discharging the battery to zero won't knacker it. Once is probably enough, never mind 20 times. However, this isn't explicitly stated as being the case. The question also remains, why was the new battery discharged every night (assuming it was)? Something drawing power that shouldn't be?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:50 am

True. The original poster, unfortunately, chose not to tell us everything, e.g. the car model and how this problem started. I any case, the solution will involve a new battery of a good make and checking the system for the circuits that drain the current when parked.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

anth_dci
Advanced Driver

Postby anth_dci » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:47 pm

fixed it, thanks for the advice. Turned out it was the earth between the battery and the body work was badly corroded, cleaned it up and the cars now fine :D

Return to “Problems / Questions”