Washer Jets

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

DavidQ
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane 2 1.6 16v 3 Door Hatch

Washer Jets

Postby DavidQ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Folks,

I noticed a couple of days ago that my front windscreen washers aren't working, I filled up the resevoir but water seems to be only going to the back of the car. Is it possible for me to fix this myself or should I take it to my renault dealer. If it helps the diagnosis, the noise is there but it sounds like the resevoir is empty if you know what I mean.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Re: Washer Jets

Postby chevin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:52 pm

david - is it stating the obvious to check if the plastic tubes the washers are connected from the reservoir to the motor to the bonnet have become unconnected ? Sound like the washer motor works.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:08 pm

As above - check that the washer fluid isn't being expelled under the car etc. You may have an obstruction in the piping. If I remember correctly you can get at the bottle by removing some plastic trim under the bonnet (plastic push in screws). Access may also be improved by removing the front bumper (this isn't as hard as you think - 15 minutes on the second attempt). Try to trace the pipe routing under the bonnet itself up to the jets (which may be frozen or blocked). I think you can also unplug the pipes from the jets which are held on by clips.

I wouldn't take it to a dealership unless its under warranty. Any local garage should be able to sort it cheaper.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Get this all the time, what i do is flick the switch on the stalk back and forward and it should begin to work....Seems like the relay sticks...when choosing front to back to front etc....give it a go and be persistent! People say about it being the pump....it wouldn't pump anything if that was the case in my eyes....
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

-KJ-
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Mégane II Ph.1 1.6 16v Dynamique Luxe, full leather seats, Carminat Informé 1 with CD-changer.

Postby -KJ- » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:05 pm

It's a 2-way pump which works for the front or back by switching polarity ( +/-). The pumps are a common problem in the Megane and even if it's working one way, it doesn't mean it isn't at fault.
From Holland! Megane II Phase 1, Black Pearl, 1.6 16V LPG, Dynamique Luxe, full leather, Carminat 1 with CD-changer, Phase 2 front.

WildgooseUK
Currently Drives:: 2003 Renault Megane 1.9DCI Dynamique

Postby WildgooseUK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Only just discovered this morning that my Screen washers aren't working, both front and back. Topped up with screen wash yesterday as I commute to work using the M1 everyday and we all know that this time of year our roads are gritted so our windscreen always get covered with salt spray.
Checked the pipes and there doesn't appear to be any blockage. Also, I noticed that when you use the stalk to activate the screen washer, the wipers doesn't move.

Could it be the fuse or has the pump failed altogether?

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

WildgooseUK

Postby WildgooseUK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:07 pm

OK....

After searching through this forum, I came across this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12077 which suggest checking the 15A fuse which I did and discovered it's blown. So I replaced this and tried my Screen washers again but still no joy, again with another blown fuse.

Is it possible that the pump's faulty?

The Negotiator
Learner Driver

Postby The Negotiator » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:45 pm

When did you last use the pump? It could be that you damaged the pump in the recent cold weather - now it is blown the fuse will keep melting.
Was: '52 Megane 1.9dci dynamique with everything standard plus: electrically folding mirrors, handsfree locking, climate control, heated seats, panoramic glass roof, in-dash CD changer, TunePoint iPod, etc. etc.
Now: '55 Laguna Initiale

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:00 pm

The dealer's parts department closes at 11am tomorrow...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

WildgooseUK

Postby WildgooseUK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:43 pm

The Negotiator wrote:When did you last use the pump? It could be that you damaged the pump in the recent cold weather - now it is blown the fuse will keep melting.

Thanks for your feedback Negotiator. The last time I used the pump was yesterday morning, only then realised that I ran out of screenwash which could lead to burning out the pump. However, I've noticed that the pressure from the washer didn't seem that great compared to other washer systems which suggests that the pump was dying anyway.

Replacing the pump appears to be straight forward but which way is the best method to gain access to it, inside the wheel arch or take off the front bumber?

Many thanks

David

WildgooseUK

Postby WildgooseUK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:44 pm

AlexB wrote:The dealer's parts department closes at 11am tomorrow...

Will give em a ring in the morning. Thanks AlexB :cool:

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Mine went in cold snap few weeks back. I foolishly tried to spray water out of my side window onto screen doing about 20mph, more came back in i was soaked!!!

Hog
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6 vvt dynamique

Postby Hog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 am

nickbell69 wrote:Mine went in cold snap few weeks back. I foolishly tried to spray water out of my side window onto screen doing about 20mph, more came back in i was soaked!!!

I tend to lean out and use the de-icer, you can reach right over to the passenger side and very little blow back!! ha ha, cant wait to get rid of my megane
1.6 vvt Meg

Return to “Problems / Questions”