Clutch advice... (but not the car start issue!)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Simmo512
Currently Drives:: Megane Dci 1.5 100 Expression 5 door

Clutch advice... (but not the car start issue!)

Postby Simmo512 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi,

I think its fair to say I've not had a great start with my Megane II. I bought it two weeks ago, it broke down on the way home after only 100 miles when it wouldn't let me select a gear. The AA topped up the brake/clutch fluid and pumped the clutch pedal to bleed it which was enough to get me home. But the next day it wouldn't allow me to select a gear again and a top up of fluid refused to solve the issue. Of course the private seller claimed to never have had this issue so I've been left to sort it.

Since then my local independent garage advised me to replace the clutch plate, calm unit (slave cylinder) and flywheel. £700 later the car still has the same problem after less than a days local driving.

So what did I buy? Well apart from a problem car it seems, I bought a 2004 1.5 Dci 100 Expression 5 door with 89K on the clock.

The problem is, after the garage have bled the clutch system (which I'm told is really difficult), the clutch feels fine to start with but then quite quickly feels as if there is nothing there when you first push the pedal and only a tiny bit of clutch resistance at the end. Also when you release the pedal it doesn't follow right behind your foot, it has a slight delay before it returns to its normal position. The garage feel either air is getting into the system or the fluid is leaking out somewhere, but they can't see any leaks.

The garage feel the only step left is the master cylinder by the pedal itself. This is around another £70 I'm told plus labour.

Having searched the web including your forum, I can't find others complaining of the same issue? Has anyone had this issue before?

Also, does anyone know how long it typically takes to fit a master cylinder to a Megane II ?

From someone that just wants a reliable car...

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Clutch advice... (but not the car start issue!)

Postby davelowe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Simmo512 wrote:The garage feel either air is getting into the system or the fluid is leaking out somewhere, but they can't see any leaks.

If you have to keep topping up the combined brake and clutch system then there is a leak somewhere (possibly in the brake lines/calipers etc if you can't find it under the bonnet).

If not, and you really can't see any leaks anywhere, air must be getting in - possibly through the master cylinder, servo or maybe a pipe.

Bleeding the clutch is easy on the 1.9 - I don't know if the 1.5 is any different. You simply take off the hydraulic system cap, undo a bleed screw and wait for gravity to take effect (don't let it get on the paintwork).

Is it continuously drinking fluid?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Simmo512

Postby Simmo512 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Its about to go back to the garage to have a master cyl fitted.

The thought process is, 'we can't see any leaks anywhere and have replaced the clutch plate, clam unit and flywheel, theres only the master cyl left!'.

Fingers crossed!

I hope one day this post gives someone else the heads up to have the master cyl changed (if it turns out to be that) first as its likely to be around £200 to sort rather than the £700 for the bits that have been done so far!

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:35 pm

I would examine your bill for £700, and deduct any labour charges + 50% on the parts for 'betterment'. This kind of behaviour is ridiculous. Garages seem less and less inclined to bother diagnosing a problem, and just turn out an army of fitters on a hunch. Worse, they tackled the most difficult and expensive potential problems first.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 pm

my money is on master cylinder going. happened on mine and quite a few others. think its a common problem.

Hog
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6 vvt dynamique

Postby Hog » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Simmo512 wrote:From someone that just wants a reliable car...

Youve definitely bought the wrong make and model of car if you want a reliable one! might aswell just buy an Alfa!!
1.6 vvt Meg

Simmo512

Postby Simmo512 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:31 am

As an update to my on going megane clutch saga, I got the car back yesterday. The garage were happy that now the master cylinder has been fitted that they were no longer loosing the pedal and the clutch remained constant. If it actually needed the clutch plate, calm unit (slave cylinder) and flywheel we'll never know...

After taking it for a short run last night and again this morning it appears to be OK. I still think the clutch could be better though, there is very little resistance until the bottom of the clutch pedal which I didn't expect from a new clutch? I expected it to be much higher...maybe someone can tell me if I'm expecting too much? I spoke to a couple of Renault dealers yesterday, one confirmed the clutch on a megane can be a cow to bleed, the other said its quite straight forward (is that a standard line if you're short of business??). If I find I can't live with the short clutch I'll book it in with a Renault dealer and see if they can get it any better.

Hopefully thats the end of my clutch story....time will tell...

Isaac Hunt
Learner Driver

Postby Isaac Hunt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:00 am

The Meganes are the most unreliable car ever.

I just wish i did a bit of homework before i paid out for mine and the next car i purchase i will be thinking long and hard.

Simmo512

Postby Simmo512 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:42 am

Just to finish the tale then...I've been driving the Megane now on regular trips for about 800 miles and the clutch has stayed the same. I say the same because I don't think it feels brilliant under foot, but I've been told that thats as good as a hydraulic clutch gets. Fingers crossed thats the clutch saga over.

So the moral of the story is, if you get clutch problems and can't see leaks from anywhere, change the master cylinder first, it might just save you £700 quid!

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:28 pm

I know this is an old post but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have juist spent 3 days trying to bleed my cars clutch'.

As an introduction it's a 55plte 1.5 dci 106 estate.

The clutch has been a problem since I bought it at a year old.
I've lost count of the number of times the pedal return spring has fallen out of it's place.

Whgole pedal assembly was (ALEDGEDLY) replaced under waranty.

So I bit the bullet and decided to change the pedal assembly again. Not easy but £20 fr4om a good scrappy saw a 2 year old item in place.

No clutch.
Bled it for all my lifes worth, still zilch

Decided master cylinder must be at fault, an other £20 later I have the ms off the same scrappy car :cool:

Still no clutch even after a full litre fluid bleed.

Decided to crash the car into gear and drive it to try to shift the "air".

Result? with no clutch the pedal locked down and as I tried to start the car with my foot on the brake pedal the battery fuse blew, no electrics at all. All windows down and T time Sunday.

Renault part, only but luckily the sam doner car at the scappy had 1

Back to bleeding after losing the window program and radio codes etc.

After about 30 times of removing the pipe clip that has to be done on the 6 speed box to allow the clutch to bleed the dam thing sprang off and I c ould not find it.

Another trip to Renault revealed that the 10p clip was not available separately. It came as part of the hydraulic hose assembly, £67.50 please sir :ner

Not friggin likely

Next day I spent about 15 mins with mirrors, lights etc and the car up in the air and found the dam thing, I kissed it.

So all replaced.

Inspiraiton had struck after reading the OP's solution.

This is the point of my dribble;
Only by attaching a 50ml hypodermic syringe to the beed nipple was I able to pull all the air out of the system

Return to “Problems / Questions”