Mileage Expectations

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Fatsteve
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Tourer

Mileage Expectations

Postby Fatsteve » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if this belongs in here so move it if you think not.

Just after some thoughts. I currently own a Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 Dci 106 Dynamique which is 2005 (55) vintage with 96000 miles on the clock. I bought it when it was 10 months old with 15000 miles. I have to say that it has been a brilliant car, perfect for what we want and more or less 100% reliable. So much so that I've always said that I would keep it till it falls apart and then buy another one! However, another one has just come up for sale at a main dealer near us which we are possibly going to look at tomorrow. It is another Tourer but it's a 100 instead of a 106 and 5 speed insead of 6.
The thing is that it's only got 13000 genuine miles on the clock and is apparantley in immaculate condition. It's been owned by an old boy from new.They want £6300 for it. So i'm a bit torn. Do I stick with the car I know and love or do I plump for this other one? Obviously depends a bit on what they offer me for mine in part ex. But to get to my main concern is that do I need to start worrying about the amount of miles that my car has done? Is 96000 actually that much? And what sort of mileage can these engines reach before they start giving problems? I should say that my car has got a full service history which I intend to keep up. So what do you reckon?

anth_dci
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II DCi 120 Dynamique 52 plate

Re: Mileage Expectations

Postby anth_dci » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:13 pm

id consider chopping it in, once it gets to 100,000 miles things do start going wrong. Yes diesel engines traditionally go on well over that the engine is not the only part of the car. The suspension, electrics, steering etc is all french crap.
Megane II dynamique 1.9 DCI 120bhp, 5 door, 52 plate.

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:29 pm

I agree, if you have the money and the guts to risk another Megane, go for it! Also this megane you're looking at - 100hp and 5 speed, how old is the car? If it's a good few years old and only has 13,000miles on the clock I'd also be wary.. low miles per annum can do as much harm as high miles!

My Feb 2004 Megane 1.9dCi is coming up to 119,000 miles now, it's passed every MOT and hasn't had anything major go wrong since the warranty ran out, apart from the EGR Valve which caused erratic engine operation - this was only the other week actually! But to be honest I'm very worried about other things which will probably go wrong... alternator.. power steering motor.. a/c compressor.. all very expensive!!
Last edited by pw981 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:38 pm

I would also factor in fuel costs and economy. You must be doing 20,000 or so miles a year by my calculations which means you are either a taxi driver, or spend a lot of time on the motorway commuting, etc. You might miss the 6th gear and end up spending more on fuel as a result. Might be an idea to look at the published figures for both cars.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Fatsteve
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Tourer

Postby Fatsteve » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:23 pm

[quote="pw981"]I agree, if you have the money and the guts to risk another Megane, go for it! Also this megane you're looking at - 100hp and 5 speed, how old is the car? If it's a good few years old and only has 13,000miles on the clock I'd also be wary.. low miles per annum can do as much harm as high miles!

It's an 05 reg 2005 car, 6 months older than my present one. The trouble is that my present car has been so damn reliable up to now that i'm loath to get rid of it! The other car sounds really genuine as it's a one 'old' owner car that sems to have rarely been used.

Return to “Problems / Questions”