Sound of gurgling water - should I be concerned?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bothyhead

Sound of gurgling water - should I be concerned?

Postby bothyhead » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:20 pm

I made about a 200 mile round trip yesterday over some hilly terrain. The road was covered with hard compacted snow in places, for about 20 miles. I didn't drive the car again until this evening. Tonight, when I turned the steering wheel, I heard the distinctive sound of water gurgling somewhere behind the dash. It was quite loud, sounding as if there was trough of water that was being tipped from left to right. I could reproduce this over a couple of miles by turning the steering wheel. I had a quick peek under the bonnet, and there was no sign of any water, except for perhaps a slight dribble out of one of the window washer jets. The sound is still there. Is this something I should be worried about, or is there something I can check for in daylight tomorrow?

Again, many thanks.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Re: Sound of gurgling water - should I be concerned?

Postby markren2004 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:02 pm

likely to be the drains blocked in the scuttle tray (where the wiper motor sits), so any water off the windscreen is collecting in there . it really needs to be cleared by taking off the trim, or by poking around with a wire in the passenger side of the scuttle tray down through the holes in the plastic mesh.
mind you it might just be frozen and will clear itself when the weather warms up?

bothyhead

Postby bothyhead » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:48 pm

That sounds promising. There was a lot of ice on my windscreen yesterday morning, which I cleared by pouring on a kettle of cold water ... coupled with all the snow we had last week ... Looking under the bonnet this evening, I did notice some leaves and other mucky debris in the corners of that collection tray. I'll have a go at taking it off and cleaning under it tomorrow. Many thanks!

bothyhead

Postby bothyhead » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:59 pm

You were spot on with your analysis. There was about an inch of water in the scuttle, and a poke of a clothes hanger had the drain unblocked in seconds.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Return to “Problems / Questions”