the few problems i have! brakes, lights, handbrake and revs!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

joshlobb43
Currently Drives:: megane 1.4

the few problems i have! brakes, lights, handbrake and revs!

Postby joshlobb43 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 am

i recently bought a 54 plate megane dynamique 1.4, knowing there was a few things that needed doing... i got it alot cheaper so i was quite happy with the deal i got... however after thinking about some of the things i could do my self or save a bit of money on i stumbled across most of the stuff on here. however there was some stuff that was so i was hoping someone could help me out???

firstly there seems to be something wrong with my brakes! it feels like the abs kicks in every time i use the brakes but im convinced its not that. i tried pulling the abs fuse out and i still had this problem. its almost like the fast i go in my car the more apparent the fault becomes (its quite scary at times). it almost feels like the disc is bent! weather this is possible or not i do not know! i am very keen to have a go at some bits myself to save a bit of money and for the experience! any help or advice would be fantastic.

also i have had that common fault were the hand brake will not click into place (rachet broken) i have seen a hand brake lever on ebay ... would it be simple to change my self or is it quite difficult?

i have read a few articles on changing lights and i am not lookin forward to changing them .. is there a really easyway to do it? any links to a photo guide would be great. i need to change ... rear fog lights (neither work), front passenger indicator, front driver headlamps.

lastly i am going to put this car in for a good service ... however before i doo there is something that concerns me and i would like sorting out.... when the car is ticking over the revs wont settle at a 1000rpm they differ between 1000rpm to 2500rpm. it sounds like i am reving my engine when im sat at traffic lights!! i must look like a right tool! any tips so i am not done over at a garage???

thanks Josh!!

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Re: the few problems i have! brakes, lights, handbrake and revs!

Postby chevin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Josh - be aware that these go through brake discs quite easily. Being from the old fashined school of motoring I expect the discs to last 100 k miles and to replace the brake linings. I have a 11/03 (53) 1.6 car and the front and rear brakes and discs both neded repalcement at 50 k miles. Dealers charge £ 300 each, independents do it for £ 200.

If you search the form you'll find references to the official disc thicknesses - its only after a couple of years that the dealers introduce a tick list on their service sheets noting disc thicknesses.

Lights - lots of horror stories - local dealers will do it for £ 40 - as it involves taking the front bumper off. With practice over the last 6 years I can do most changes in 10 - 30 mins. Although the last indicator got stuck and I had to go to the dealer and with my complaining did it for free. be careful on the headlight retaining clips - make sure you have read the instructions and know which way the clip comes off. Indicators are in a twistable mount/cup again be aware which way they twist and come out. Interestingly none of my rear lights have failed and I've changed 3 -4 front indicators and 2 - 3 front headlight bulbs

Skidms9
Learner Driver

Re: the few problems i have! brakes, lights, handbrake and revs!

Postby Skidms9 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Brakes issue, sounds like warped brake discs. Not uncommon and easy to check if you can get your hands on a dial test indicator. Replacement is most definitley a DIY job. Handbrake issue, you should check out viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11194#p71336. Again, a very easy DIY job.

Light issues, front bulb changes can be a little tricky. Dropping the front bumper skin down and removing the headlights is, in my opinion, the easiest method if you're changing more than 1 bulb. Your rear foglights, only the driver side lamp should work anyway. The passenger side bulb will be present in the holder but will not light up.

Your high idle issue, I looked at a K4J recently with a similar problem and after many checks it turned out to be one of the ignition coils perforated and leaking it's spark out to the cam cover. This in turn was causing a spike in the ECU's idle correction and making the idle pick up randomly. A long shot at a diagnosis for your issue I know, but an easy check to make and eliminate.

Hope this is of some help, good luck.

Return to “Problems / Questions”