Water ingress into rear door

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

__spc__
Learner Driver

Water ingress into rear door

Postby __spc__ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi,

After heavy rain (or a vigorous jet-washing!) I can open my n/s rear door and water streams out from under the seal that runs along the bottom of the door. If I pull this seal slightly to one side, there is a machined hole in the door, under the seal, from where this water streams out.

My question is, where is the water most likely entering? Clearly, water's finding its way into the door itself from somewhere, and I'm sure that this can't be good (rust, electrics?).

Thanks in advance for any help....
5dr 1.6VVT Hatch, Pearl Black Megane Dynamique + Comfort Pack, '53 plate

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Re: Water ingress into rear door

Postby chevin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:04 pm

specy, search the forum for failed electric windows - you'll see the problems cause by the seals and the after effects - the window motor usually goes and its a £ 300 dealer fix.

Skidms9
Learner Driver

Postby Skidms9 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Water enters the door past the waste seal, that is, the rubber strip that runs horizontally across the outside of the door and contacts the glass. Door cavitys are a 'wet zone' and water can't be prevented from entering which is why they are protected with a wax oil and have drain holes at the base to allow water to escape. As long as the water isn't passing through the inner door panel or entering the cabin anywhere, there's no problem. Hope this is of some help.

__spc__
Learner Driver

Postby __spc__ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:55 am

Thanks very much for the replies.

Skidms9 - that's reassuring what you say.

This has been going on for probably well over a year now, just more noticeable since we moved to Wales (where the rain we get now makes the Indian sub-continent monsoons seem like April showers!). So saying, it's only on the one door...

Can I get the exterior window seals replaced..?
5dr 1.6VVT Hatch, Pearl Black Megane Dynamique + Comfort Pack, '53 plate

Skidms9
Learner Driver

Postby Skidms9 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Seal kits are available from any Renault dealer but are a little pricey if I remember correctly. There may be after market parts available but I personally don't know of any. Also, changing the seal might reduce the amout of water entering the door, especially if it's a poor fit, but won't stop it completely.

Return to “Problems / Questions”