MOT and service..... Is this a good price???

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mic21041985
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 Dynamique

MOT and service..... Is this a good price???

Postby mic21041985 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 am

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice on these garage prices.

I took my car in for an MOT and service and got stung with the usual "I noticed this and noticed that" speel.

Two back brake discs, two front wishbones, a camshaft sensor, MOT and service for £447.

Now I know next to nothing about cars, but could anyone tell me if that sounds about right! My car is a dynamique 1.6 03 plate.

Thanks in advance

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Re: MOT and service..... Is this a good price???

Postby Toodeep » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 am

I don't think that's expensive (albeit I am in London). The question is A) does it all really need to be done and B) will they really have done it. Like I said, I am in London and therefore possibly more cynical than most.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:13 pm

mic21041985 wrote:Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice on these garage prices.

I took my car in for an MOT and service and got stung with the usual "I noticed this and noticed that" speel.

Two back brake discs, two front wishbones, a camshaft sensor, MOT and service for £447.

Now I know next to nothing about cars, but could anyone tell me if that sounds about right! My car is a dynamique 1.6 03 plate.

Thanks in advance

Where I am (Derbyshire), that sounds about right, but I suppose it depends on what you got serviced. The brake discs seem to be very expensive (£100 / pair), decent oil and filter about £50, wishbones around £30 each, MOT £50ish and £18 for the camshaft sensor.

That totals £278, so you paid around £170 in labour unless you had anything else done. The labour sounds a bit steep... my local mechanic is more reasonable because I use him a lot!

Garages that do MOTs often charge more than smaller outfits, but obviously you don't know what needs doing until after the MOT. One thing you could try next time is getting the MOT done early, then get a price for any work needed. You can then phone around to see if the difference is price is worth the re-test fee.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Postby chevin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Just paid £ 220 for rear brakes and discs and MoT's are £ 45

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:53 am

Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Return to “Problems / Questions”