Heavy steering wheel

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

megamotion
Passed Theory

Heavy steering wheel

Postby megamotion » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:45 am

what can this be ? 2005 megane 2 my steering wheel is very hard to turn and very heavy , no sound just heavy . This car has not been in use for a few months , and a message saying Anolmalia en direcion .

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Re: Heavy steering wheel

Postby Gav » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 am

From what you're saying the power steering looks to be not working. I think (but could be wrong) that the Meg II has electrical assistance, and thus able to tell you about it. I have no idea what you need to do to fix it...
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Toolster
Currently Drives:: MG ZR until Sunday then 1.9 DCI 54 plaqte Mehane

Postby Toolster » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Ive just had a look in the manual and direction defaillante is the warning for a problem with the power steering, but that said it could be. I cant find your error code in the book.

Have you checked the steering fuild?

megamotion
Passed Theory

Postby megamotion » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:32 pm

thanks for looking into this.. Well thats just it I can not you check the fluid ?? I was looking for it under the hood and cannot see were its at ,, maybe the power steering is sealed .. and in the cars manual it does not say Do you have any idea ....?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Sounds like you have no power assistance. It is electrically operated.

Here is a similar post with a solution:

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... 26num%3D50

There is another link to a (Spanish?) website on that post that references a similar problem too.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:06 pm

you can not find the steering fluid as there is none, it is electrically assisted steering not hydraulically assisted. sounds like you have lost power to the steering assistance motor (fuse/connections) or motor has popped.

You should also be able to get the steering assistance on without starting the engine, to do this put card in slot, press and hold start button without depressing brake or clutch, after approx 5-8 seconds you should see your fuel meter rise, and your steering wheel if locked will unlock, you should also have power assisted steering at this time. This is a useful trick should you need to be towed and have battery power as you will have light steering with no engine running (this you dont get with hydraulic systems as they take a pick off from the engine) i also use it when changing headlamp bulbs when needing to turn the front wheel for better access.

Have a feeling a few meg owners will be out later pressing start buttons, counting and then turning wheels.......

PS to shut off press start button again,
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Toolster
Currently Drives:: MG ZR until Sunday then 1.9 DCI 54 plaqte Mehane

Postby Toolster » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Bumpy macaroon wrote:you can not find the steering fluid as there is none, it is electrically assisted steering not hydraulically assisted. sounds like you have lost power to the steering assistance motor (fuse/connections) or motor has popped,

soz dude My Bad, still learning myself

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:35 pm

no dramas, just found a megane owners manual on the net saying to check steering fluid levels if steering heavy, and showing an engine bay with a black oil container, with a note depending on model this may not be fitted. all i can say is mine is definately electrical, and does not have such oil container these megs are just like my wife, cat make up their mind what they want lol
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

megamotion
Passed Theory

Postby megamotion » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:37 pm

Is there anything else I can do or check , or do I need to get it to the dealer.. And I know if I go to the dealer its going to sting Thanks to all the reply

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:26 pm

As mentioned, check the fuses. According to my wiring diagram there are three involved in the power steering.

The first main ones are on the battery positive terminal itself. You should first check these with a multimeter for continuity. They are very high rated and control all the electronics on the car. I would be very surprised if one has fused as you would expect multiple system failures. But, they are easy to check (take off the battery cover).

The second one is in the engine fuse box labelled F9 (70 Amp). To check this you have to remove the battery and the battery tray. This is a pain in the ass to do, but is pretty self evident. You will need a long extension bar to unbolt the battery retaining clip. Don't drop the bolt. It takes ages to find it (been there and done it)! When you have got this far remove the two screws and lift off the fusebox cover. You should see around 4 fuses. F9 may be one of them. According to the fairly vague wiring diagram, it controls more than just the power steering, but you will need to do this step anyway for access to the third fuse. Check all of them using a multimeter.

Third fuse is labelled F5E - it is on top of the engine multiplex module and controls only power steering and airbags (5 Amp). To get to this you have to have done the work in the previous paragraph. Unclip the large wiring plug from the top of the fusebox, slide it out without disconnecting it. Unscrew the bolt and disconnect the large red fusebox supply lead from the front of the fusebox. Slide out the engine multiplex module and you should be able to see lots of fuses. Find F5E and check it (or check them all while you are there). If it is faulty, replace it and see if the power steering works. If not, check to see if it has blown the fuse again. If it has, the motor or wiring may be damaged.

That's all I can think of at the moment, and all I would be willing to check myself. The actual motor and connector could be looked at, but that involves removing the steering wheel and lots of other stuff. I wouldn't dare tackle it!

megamotion
Passed Theory

Postby megamotion » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:49 am

Ok I try this , now the light for the air bags in the dash is on so maybe if the fuse for the power steering and air bags are the same this could be the problem , anyway Im going for it and let you know what happens thanks everybody ... megamotion is out if anything esle you can think of also let me know

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Sounds a definite F5E fuse problem if the airbag light is on also. Hope you fix it.

Return to “Problems / Questions”