Brake troubles?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Immobilizer
Passed Theory

Brake troubles?

Postby Immobilizer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi all.

My Megane is a 2003 1.6 vvt model.

Basically it drives great except when slowing down at high speeds. I get a severe vibration coming through the wheel and the car just doesn't feel safe.

Last week it went to KwiK Fit for a free brake test and it came back fine.

However i took it to Renault this morning and after a quick test drive by one of their mechanics he felt the same thing and said it is possibly a slipped brake disc.

I am now sat at home anxiously waiting for the phone to ring and be informed of the damage.

It seems odd that Kwik Fit found no fault and if it is what i said above about being a slipped brake disc - is it going to be really expensive.

I am nervously waiting so want some advice to try and put me at ease in the meantime.

Many thanks.

A13XDT
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 54 Plate Megane Dci 86 Rush - Platinum Silver

Re: Brake troubles?

Postby A13XDT » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:20 pm

May well be a warped brake disc. Ive never used the Kwik Fit brake test, but they may have literally just checked the condition of your pads, and the brake fluid level. Which would have come back fine even with a warped disc.
Alex

Immobilizer
Passed Theory

Postby Immobilizer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Thankyou

And would you have a rough idea of the cost of the work?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:58 pm

https://www.justpartsbiz.co.uk/acatalog/ ... -2005.html

£46 per pair. A local garage should be able to change them in an hour or so. Expect around £100 for the complete job.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Immobilizer
Passed Theory

Postby Immobilizer » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 am

Had Renault change the brake discs and pads and now drives like a dream again.

My partner picked up the car and it also had a cv boot o/s replaced or something like that. I am unfamiliar with what this is anyways it's been done. What actually is this and what are the symptoms? Ta

Obviously i have paid more having it done by Renault but as my other half uses the car all day for work it was paramount it was fixed up properly and quickly.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Immobilizer wrote:Had Renault change the brake discs and pads and now drives like a dream again.

My partner picked up the car and it also had a cv boot o/s replaced or something like that. I am unfamiliar with what this is anyways it's been done. What actually is this and what are the symptoms? Ta

Obviously i have paid more having it done by Renault but as my other half uses the car all day for work it was paramount it was fixed up properly and quickly.

A CV boot is a flexible rubber sleeve that fits over the constant velocity joint (this is just a connection between two metal drive shafts with a bearing inside that allows the two shafts to move around with the suspension etc). If they split, dirt and water can get in which can cause failure. MOT tests should spot them, but obviously they don't split on MOT day!

Here is a diagram that explains more: https://www.aa1car.com/library/rzeppa1.gif
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Immobilizer
Passed Theory

Postby Immobilizer » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks dude. :-)

Return to “Problems / Questions”