MPG - 1.6 VVT

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Busy_Man
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 1.8 Zafira Life Auto

MPG - 1.6 VVT

Postby Busy_Man » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:41 am

All, I've recently done a 300 mile run to Devon (car was loaded with holiday gear for 2 adults and 2 kids) travelling on mainly major A roads and motorway at a fairly constant 65 mph (couldn't be asked to go any faster and wanted to get the best out the fuel economy).

Average MPG for the trip was 38.6 (both on trip computer and using manual calculation on the fuel used to fill up with). I'm not sure if this is good or not, as I did a similar run in a 1.8 turbo seat leon cupra and got 37 mpg and that run included a few blasts at a faster pace (fyi there were no kids in that car just 4 adults).

According to the book figures I should have seen closer to 45/50 mpg. The car is due a service which I know will affect it but I'm purely wondering what others with the same engine get on similar runs.

This car is costing me more than I bargained for and having had a pay cut at work I need to decide quickly if I keep it (and the finance payments) or get shot and buy something cheap and reliable and save the £130 a month finance payment.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
04 Plate 1.6 Dynamique

Issues to Date:
Dephaser - replaced
Cam Sensor - replaced
Start up problems, goes to two cylinders unless reved to hell - annoying, but untraced cause.
Water Leak in Boot - removed, came back, removed, came back again. Given up

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Re: MPG - 1.6 VVT

Postby dougieCC » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:59 am

Just travelled from London to Durham in my CC, averaged 49 mpg ...I admit I drive like miss daisy but still impressed :D

Did you reset computer at staqrt of journey, that makes big difference.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Postby chevin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:15 am

Doogie - have misfortune to own two reggies. Been to Cornwall in wifes cc (1.6) - reset trip, got around 44 mpg, for 700 miles. Travelling at m ways speeds and a tad more - this usually does 32 round town. Have 53 plate 1.6 - it does an average of 38 mpg around town/work - regular m way work and driving carefully gives me around 42, but thats the exception as it does n't take much to get back to 38

Busy_Man
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 1.8 Zafira Life Auto

Postby Busy_Man » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:47 pm

Dougie - yes trip reset everytime I fill up (I like to compare the trip figure to my own maths to keep it honest)

Chevin - your wifes was what I expected to see, especially as I just trundled along at 60 - 65 most of the time.

Will see what happens once I've serviced it (will be doing this myself as it's had the cambelt etc done so just filters and oil change).

Thanks for the replies.
04 Plate 1.6 Dynamique

Issues to Date:
Dephaser - replaced
Cam Sensor - replaced
Start up problems, goes to two cylinders unless reved to hell - annoying, but untraced cause.
Water Leak in Boot - removed, came back, removed, came back again. Given up

volestrangler
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 Privilege 5 Door

Postby volestrangler » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi, I also have an 03 plate 1.6 vvt 4 door hatch and get about 38mpg, I did get upto 40 on a long motorway run of 200 miles, that was with just me in the car and very little baggage, doing 70mph. The enconomy of this car is not its strong point....

Return to “Problems / Questions”