My Megane Failed its MOT =[ , need help from the PRO's!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Nedi
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane II 1.4

My Megane Failed its MOT =[ , need help from the PRO's!

Postby Nedi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:24 pm

First bit is an intro about me if u don't wanna read that skip to the second paragraph... =D!

Intro
hey all my name is neal and i am frequently on the side looking at all the helpful info u guys give and its cool reading up on the story's and problems there is out there, i got a 2003 Black 1.4 Megane II Extreme in april with 92k miles on the clock and i love it such an upgrade from a crappy 106. Anyways it has NOT gave me any problems tho i do get some lights on the dash "air bag and toxic fume lights" but mah there not all bad.. but anyways im slowly bit by bit turn it into a 225 look'a'like over time.... until i can afford a real 225!

Main part
Ok so my car went for its MOT on the 1st aug and it didn't pass, i didn't really mind as i was gonna let the MOT guys give me the run down on what needed fixed then i would get the faults fixed and give it a nice service! Tho i think it mite have turned into a bigger problem... below i have attached a pic of the "notification of refusal" form so u guys can see exactly what i failed on i am from northern Ireland btw!

below is the list of the "other defects" this is to my knowledge soo tell me if im right..

1- The head lamp can be easily fixed by getting them aligned soo this is the least of my worries!
2- I replaced the 2 front tires with nice shiny new ones so that's that problem out of the way!
3- the suspension ball joint... WTF is this? is it the BIG problem i think it is? can anyone give me info on what this is and how hard/easy is it to replace? i have done a quick search and the ball joints are not that expensive but what is it like fitting them? and i need the 2 so i think this is the biggest problem?
4- the break system can be fixed by getting the hand break tightened so that's not a biggie, tho the guy said the rear caliper was seized so i took all the wheels off and cleaned the discs,pads and caliper. allot of sh1t came off so im guessing that was the problem making it stick? all pads and discs looked fine and had plenty off beef on them!

Ok guys Thank you for taking the time for reading up on my wee story i hope to hear back from you soon! thanks, Neal

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Re: My Megane Failed its MOT =[ , need help from the PRO's!

Postby markren2004 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:29 am

ball joints are not difficult to replace, but you generally need a special removal tool and somewhere where you can lift the car up high to get good access, i'd leave it to the mechanic, won't cost that much labour.

Intelicide
Currently Drives:: Megane dynamique 1.9dci

Postby Intelicide » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Hey Neal!

My advice to you as a fellow NI person is to get rid!

I am talking from massive personal financial loss from my 03 Megane and I will tell you now that I will NEVER have another Renault on my drive!

Good luck - your gonna need it!

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:13 am

what a useful 4th post, well done.

none of that's a big problem really, get the mechanics to do the ball joint if you don't have access to the correct tools. If you have cleaned up the brakes and they all look ok, book it back in and have them adjust the cable if it's still wrong.

if you have access to a standard car that's passed its MOT and a garage door or a wall, you could have a go at the beam pattern yourself
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Return to “Problems / Questions”