Indicator bulb - argh!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

madamzsazsa

Indicator bulb - argh!!!

Postby madamzsazsa » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:44 pm

Hello, Im hoping someone can help.
I currently own a Megane Sports Tourer 1.9. My indicator bulb (drivers side) has gone. We've taken the wheel off, unclipped the arch liner & have managed to access the bulb, take it out, and put a new one in. However the bulb still isn't working, and now we cant get the bulb 'unit' out (I cant think of a better word, its the black unit that the bulb sits in, with a flat 'handle' at the back - like a fuel cap). It seems to be stuck. We can turn it a quarter turn in each direction, but cant get it to come out again. Has my OH b*ggered up my car? Has anyone got any tips on how to get it out?
Thanks!
Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.9dci, Ottoman Blue, fully loaded

Mick
Passed Theory

Re: Indicator bulb - argh!!!

Postby Mick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Had the exact same problem a couple of months ago with front drivers side indicator, I replaced the bulb by extracting the bulb casing 1st time and refitted it however 2 weeks later it stopped working again :( . I removed the wheel again, opened the access hatch and fiddled with the spade handle moving it clockwise 5 degrees until the casing with the bulb in it is located correctly in a vertical position (you need to check the bulb filament is vertical by looking through the front of the headlight ).
PS I mentioned this to my local Renault independent mechanic and he said "We don't even bother with the wheel and hatch we take the front bumper off which gives visual access to all the bulbs, it's quicker and works well and we charge 30 mins labour" :roll:
Good luck
2004 1.6 VVT 115BHP

madamzsazsa

Postby madamzsazsa » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm

30 mins labour? My local renault dealer wanted £238 the last time the bulb went! They said it was £38 + vat for the bulb, and 1 1/2hr labour. Sounds like you've got a good independent there. I did a serch for indicator bulbs on this site, & unscrewed the casing under the bonnet as it suggested, however I still couldnt see much. Luckily my OH is mechanically minded, but I dont think he'll be too happy if we have to take the front end off. He threw a paddy when he thought that was the only way to change the horn until I found something someone had posted here.

Oh well, I'll just have to try and not make any right turns until sunday....

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:59 pm

I have had the same problem with the light unit sitting in my lap....

There is a small arrow on the twisting part... It has to be a six o'clock to remove the bulb and when in this position can require a bit of force.

P

madamzsazsa

Postby madamzsazsa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Thank you, but we cant really see the unit, only 'feel' it, if you know what I mean? Ive noticed (from peering at the bulb through the unit glass) that there is a small silver clip that appears to hold the bulb in place. Do you know if this should be at the top or the bottom when its replaced? The passenger side shows it at the bottom, but driver side (problem) shows it at the top. Im wondering if my OH has put it back in upside down....

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 pm

This will give you an idea of what you are 'looking' at....

P

Ian 2

Postby Ian 2 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Just had this exact problem!!! (but passenger side indicator) Spent around an hour trying, removing plastic casings under bonnet to try and get better view but no good! Got the uni+bulb out enventually replaced bulb and refitted but still not working and now cant get the uni back out!!! :banghead

Really is doing my head in as did the headlights a view months ago....gods sake!

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:07 pm

ulrich, in your second photo, how does the sidelight bulb come out?
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:36 pm

tallpaul wrote:ulrich, in your second photo, how does the sidelight bulb come out?

You can see the small tab to the left of the thumb screw in the first pic... Now look at the small tab to the left it is at 3 o'clock. It has to be turned through 90 deg to 6 o'clock. Give it a pull while wiggling it from side to side and it will pop out.
(in both picture the unit is 'up side down'.)

I think its the rubber seal that makes it difficult to remove.

P

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:05 pm

thanks mate i've avoided doing mine for nearly a year now, it blew when I got home from the MOT station!
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 pm

all i can say is viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8526

its still flashing, and i got better at guitar hero....
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

madamzsazsa

Postby madamzsazsa » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:25 pm

We ended up taking the front of the car off! It looked like the unit had gone in too far, & the rubber seal was preventing it from popping out. My OH ended up having to prise the bulb unit out, & then cutting slivers off the plastic to tidy it up. He also marked the unit up with tippex so that we know next time what way round it has to go. What a palavver just to change a bulb!

fixit
Currently Drives:: 1.5 dCi

Postby fixit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:49 pm

I've just replaced the left hand indicator bulb and after trying to get the bulbholder out through the access panel in the wheelarch I decided that there must be a better way. If you are replacing the left hand bulb I recommend that you make sure you have the radio code and then remove the battery. It is by far the easiest way to get to the back of the headlight and it doesn't take as long as you might expect.

Return to “Problems / Questions”