Airbag warning light and under seat wiring loom

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

markee

Airbag warning light and under seat wiring loom

Postby markee » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi all,

We have a May 2004 Megane CC 1.9dci Privilige and have had minor problems with the airbag light coming on. This has been easily rectified by reseating the sockets.

We now have a problem where the wires have broken away from the seat plug. There is a blue and a brown cable that connect to an orange plug plus a black cable which is attached to a spade connector that plugs into a spade on the under seat metal work.

Now, the problem we have is that we cannot remove the orange plug to re terminate the blue and brown cables. I dont want to prize it out with a screw driver for fear of breaking it.

Any help would be very much appreciated! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Mark

markee

Re: Airbag warning light and under seat wiring loom

Postby markee » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:16 pm

As possibly useful info for anyone, I have just spoken to a friend of a friend who is a Renault Technician.

Apparently, this fault is quite common (cables from airbag signals breaking off) and they (Renault dealers) just disconnect both ends and solder the cables together, thus bypassing the plug weakness.

Going to try this myself.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:26 pm

markee wrote:As possibly useful info for anyone, I have just spoken to a friend of a friend who is a Renault Technician.

Apparently, this fault is quite common (cables from airbag signals breaking off) and they (Renault dealers) just disconnect both ends and solder the cables together, thus bypassing the plug weakness.

Going to try this myself.

What the hell,

If i took it Reno to have a SAFTEY problem fixed.... The last thing i would want them to do or have done is a bypass.

Wiring to do with airbags and pretensioners is there for a reason. If it was bypassed how would you know when there is a real problem with the actuator etc.

Madness.

PS

Prize it out. If it breaks, a connector can't be that expensive. Can't be many other ways to get it out seeing as where it’s situated.

markee

Postby markee » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:03 am

What the hell,

If i took it Reno to have a SAFTEY problem fixed.... The last thing i would want them to do or have done is a bypass.

Wiring to do with airbags and pretensioners is there for a reason. If it was bypassed how would you know when there is a real problem with the actuator etc.

I think you may have missunderstood me - the Renault guy didn't say he bypassed the airbag wiring, just the actual plug itself by soldering the cable ends together.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Ah you mean rather than a male and female pulg, soldering there wire together.

Yea a misunderstood. I stand corrected mate.

Was worried what reno where up to for a sec.

P

Return to “Problems / Questions”