Ignition Coils

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kenboy
Currently Drives:: Megane automatic

Ignition Coils

Postby kenboy » Sat May 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi
I Had a problem with ignition coils But the nice R.A.C man fixed the problem with two new coils my question is should I have the other two coils replaced the car is a 54 Plate I had to pay for the parts on the road side but it still worked out cheaper than going to a Renault dealer :wink:

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Re: Ignition Coils

Postby Jonault » Sun May 03, 2009 6:11 pm

If they ain't broke, don't fix them. It might be an idea to carry a spare pair with you just in case they do fail but remember that Renault recommend that you use their expensive grease on the coil to plug connection.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

kenboy
Currently Drives:: Megane automatic

Postby kenboy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks for information on coils have brought two new coils whats all this about expensive grease that renault use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 am

quote below from an old thread...I think this is to mitigate the poor design/manufacturing of the early coils, and actually cheaper to put them on dry and have a couple of spare coils in the boot.

do you know which 2 the guy changed..they work in pair, outside 2 and inside 2, should always change at least a pair.
FYI, the grease is £45+ for a finger nail sized tube, although it is supposed to be enough for 100's coils.

AlexB wrote:The sticky stuff is the grease part number 82 00 168 855 applied according to the technical note 3789A. As I understand the coils must not be removed unless one is prepared to renew the grease coating.

The Green Note 4242A is about the coil types. It says that if a SAGEM coil fails and its production date is before "330-3", then all four coils must be replaced by DENSO. It is emphasized that the dates must be checked without removing the coils. If a single DENSO coil fails, then just one coil is replaced.

Return to “Problems / Questions”