Problem after problem after problem...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

john10001
Pass Plus

Problem after problem after problem...

Postby john10001 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm back again!

I have read the common issues post but couldn't see this new problem I have listed.

The service light has lit up on my 1.6 53 (2004) plate meg II. Also the air bag light has lit up just above the speedometer. I don't know why.

And the thing that worries me the most is that my steering wheel has started making funny clicking noises when I turn it in either direction. Needless to say I aint driving it any more in case its something serious. I was at defon 3 coming home tonight and took it steady no faster than 60 (often a lot less) in the first lane of the motorway all the way home. Was quite happy for once to get stuck behind a lorry up hill and take it real slow.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the issue? I have only just had it serviced 2 months ago and mot'd as well which it passed.

I wasn't convinced that the independent garage that did the servicing did a good job. It was supposed to be a 36k servicing but I had supplied my own oil, oil filter and spark plugs that I got off opie man. Cost about £104 in total but I think they just did what usually is done for a regular servicing not a 36k. None of the other stuff was done or what I wrote on the note so I think next time I may try somewhere else.

If anyone has experienced similar to the issues I'm having at the moment with the service light airbag light and clicking steering wheel please help I'd appreciate your wisdom what it might be.

Thanks,
John

jaspa

Re: Problem after problem after problem...

Postby jaspa » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Sounds like possible rotary switch behind steering wheel, i think this is part of the column swithes (wiper & lights).

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:15 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:The first thing to try with regards to the air bags is to check under both front seats to make sure all the connections under there are fully home. Tis a Megane 'characteristic' that the airbag connections under the seat get a bit loose and cause the lights to come on.

With regards to the suspension noise, is it a twang or a clunk noise, is it coming from inside the car or outside, does it do it only when stationary or when moving aswell?

Did the noise and airbag light start at the same time?

Regards to the service it sounds like you need to try and find a decent independent Renault garage if you can.

Whereabouts exactly are the airbag connectors? Is it under footwell or car seats?

It's just like a clicking noise and seems to come from the steering wheel inside the car.

The noise and service light definitely seemed to start at the same time. Not sure about the airbag light I think that may have also started at the same time or a very short time difference after.

Cheers,
John

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:16 pm

jaspa wrote:Sounds like possible rotary switch behind steering wheel, i think this is part of the column swithes (wiper & lights).

If it is that, can you diy fix it or do you need to take it in to get looked at? What exactly is a rotary switch? It's not to do with the steering of the car is it? Just the indicators wiper levers etc?

Thanks,
John

Meggyman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in grey.
Full leather etc

Postby Meggyman » Fri May 01, 2009 10:17 am

The service and Airbag light came on in my Megane 53 plater last year. After the advice I remembered in this forum, I moved my seat forwards then back again. Hey Presto!! Fault cleared and service light never came on again.

Definitely the same problem, and whether the steering problem and airbag service light are related, well could be just a coincidence, unless its the steering wheel airbag thats got a dodgy connection and the ticking is the airbag arming and disarming when you turn the wheel. Whatever though, get it checked because its not going to work in a crash and the insurance might not pay up if the fault is detected afterwards
56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in Grey.
Full leather etc

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks for all the help.

I have also read a lot of the other posts I search under "rotary switch".

Can anyone tell me, if it is the rotary switch (which I'm 100% positive it is) can I disengage the airbags in my car and continue to drive until I get it looked at? Or is their a safety issue with driving with a snapped rotary switch? I'm not 100% sure what exactly it does, but I know the whole thing needs to be replaced where the indicators/wipers/lights sticks etc go into.

I don't want to be driving if the airbag is likely to go off or the steering wheel is likely to come off :eek

I have read some of the threads were ppl have replaced the rotary switch themselves but I'm not sure where I would be able to buy a replacement one from? Some of the links I checked out from the ppl who diy'd it didn't seem to have the one I need. I have the megane with climate and also the radio controls to the right of the steering wheel.

I did get a quote from an independent garage today and they said it would be about £250 depending on which type of rotary switch because there were a few different ones for different Meganes but the price difference would usually only be about ±£10.

Reading other posts I have heard that the part only costs £50? I could save quite a few bob doing it myself but it might take a while to find the right part, find the pdf instructions in english and then do the whole thing. I think there can be no guarantees that the rotary switch wont break again but if I did go with the independent garage I'm sure it would be covered for 12 months wouldn't it?

I will try moving the seat backwards and forwards to see if it gets rid of the service light or the airbag light at least and have a look under the seat for these wires. I am absolutely certain the rotary swich is gone though because of the clicking and also because the service and airbag lights did seem to come on at the same time (as far as I know) and from what I've read that seems to be a good indicator that its a broken rotary switch.

Cheers,

John

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:57 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:
john10001 wrote:Whereabouts exactly are the airbag connectors? Is it under footwell or car seats?

Under the seat, you'll see them poking out the carpet and have agrope around and you'll find the connectors. Give'em all a good wiggle.

I have just been looking under the seat today and have noticed a funny clip hanging down that comes out another cable. It is not connected to anything. If this should be connected anywhere, where should it be connected? Does anyone know what kind of connector this is and what it goes?

If anyone can highlight on the photos I have taken where it goes I'd appreciate it. There are two slim vents to the left one longer than the other, it's not obvious that it would go in there and it just looks like some sort of air vent anyway?

Then there is something to the right but it just seems to be like a small hole in the carpet and feeling into it I can't feel anything that it would connect to? Myabe it is something under the base of the chair?

It is really difficult to see anything in the floor because the seat wont go so far forwards or backwards to enable me to clearly see. I've had to get in the cramped back seat to try and see with led torch and my camera to take the photos but its tight and awkward.

Thanks,

John

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun May 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Two pins and a couple of resistors inside? It can be 1130 as in the circuit diagrams (see links). I am just guessing...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Alex it just looks like a metal clip. Is this something to do with the airbag? I'm thinking this can't just be hanging loose and should be connected somewhere. For what purpose I'm not sure but its difficult to find under the seat its real cramped.

John

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:12 am

I've done a bit of RTFM and managed to find something on page 63 of the following one:
https://hosted.hornstein.co.uk/Megane/MR ... GANE-7.pdf

It looks like this clip thing does get attached into the hole in the floor. It is the second picture down on the left. That picture is for the LHD megane so on mine it should be the hole on the right hand side.

Will be extremely difficult trying to figure how to get it in there and which way round it is supposed to go in but will try tomorrow.

I still think it is definitely a Rotary Switch problem as well though and will have to get that fixed. I often have to do some sharp turns to get out of car parks I park in. Not sure if connecting this clip will fix the airbag light or not?

John

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Mon May 04, 2009 10:23 am

See where the connector is hanging down on that photo...on the left side, there is a metal fitting closest to the runner. This connects to the seat side of the runner and then when the seat goes back and forward there is a plastic raising section onn the floor sitting side of the runner....you can see the peice im talking about in the photo that will the press the button in.

Spend 15 minutes.....it clips on one side, with metal switch pointing towards the ground.
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Nige wrote:See where the connector is hanging down on that photo...on the left side, there is a metal fitting closest to the runner. This connects to the seat side of the runner and then when the seat goes back and forward there is a plastic raising section onn the floor sitting side of the runner....you can see the peice im talking about in the photo that will the press the button in.

Spend 15 minutes.....it clips on one side, with metal switch pointing towards the ground.

I can't find f**k all mate. It's not long enough the cable to go into the hole to the right, and that's where the cable it comes out of comes from anyway. Can't see anything else that it would go into either. I've looked at the passenger seat on the left and that cable seems to go back to the front of the chair and connects on the underside of it, but the cable on the right there is no place for it to go to on that side in a similar position and it wouldn't be long enough to anyway.

So I am thinking there must be some other bit this strange clip is supposed to connect with nearer the back or to the sides? Can't see owt though. :banghead

John

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue May 05, 2009 2:16 am

The seat position sensor (1130 in the circuit diagram, see Links) is supposed to have 2 pins and 1 sliding switch activated by a mechanical step in the middle of the seat slider. According to the same diagram it has two resistors inside. Measure its resistance when open and when closed. If it changes AND if both values are greater than 0 Ohms, then it can be the seat position sensor. I am not sure though.

This sensor is normally sits at the back of the inner slider of the driver's seat. In my car I could only see the wires going there, never tried to reach for the switch itself.

john10001 wrote:Alex it just looks like a metal clip. Is this something to do with the airbag? I'm thinking this can't just be hanging loose and should be connected somewhere. For what purpose I'm not sure but its difficult to find under the seat its real cramped.

John
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 pm

AlexB wrote:The seat position sensor (1130 in the circuit diagram, see Links) is supposed to have 2 pins and 1 sliding switch activated by a mechanical step in the middle of the seat slider. According to the same diagram it has two resistors inside. Measure its resistance when open and when closed. If it changes AND if both values are greater than 0 Ohms, then it can be the seat position sensor. I am not sure though.

This sensor is normally sits at the back of the inner slider of the driver's seat. In my car I could only see the wires going there, never tried to reach for the switch itself.

john10001 wrote:Alex it just looks like a metal clip. Is this something to do with the airbag? I'm thinking this can't just be hanging loose and should be connected somewhere. For what purpose I'm not sure but its difficult to find under the seat its real cramped.

John

Alex,

I've not been able to find any circuit diagrams in the links section that are in english, but I have seen the switch in a couple of other pdf's I have. It is definitely the switch you say, the only trouble I now have is where do I stick it? I can't seem to see anywhere it goes, and the pdf's I have don't show you. They just show you with it free from any place it should be.

John

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Tue May 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Where abouts are the wiring diagrams? I cant find them on my dialogys.
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

Return to “Problems / Questions”