05 Renault Megane II 1.4 16V Shakey Idle.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Joske
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 1.4 16V Expression

05 Renault Megane II 1.4 16V Shakey Idle.

Postby Joske » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:43 pm

My Megane always shakes gently when idling at 800rpms. If i rev higher to 1000rpms or more, the shaking disappears. I thought this could be due to a failing ignition coil, only to replace all 4 pencil coils and still have the same problem. The car starts fine, and i believe drives fine. The car has only done 30K.

But...

Whenever the car goes to idle at 800rpms the whole car gently shakes. However the revs remain constant. There has been the very rare time I approached some traffic lights and the revs will drop a bit then pick up but never stall.

I did a test on the car, whenever i blip the throttle, the car shakes a bit more noticable. If i ever so gently start to press the accelerator, not by much, the revs will slowly drop until the car stalls. Any ideas what this could be?

Im going to clean the throttlebody out on the weekend but was hoping for any more advice.

Thanks in Advance,

Joske

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: 05 Renault Megane II 1.4 16V Shakey Idle.

Postby AlexB » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:00 pm

You are doing the right thing -- clean it. I think the Tech. Note mentions that some gasket must be replaced when doing it.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:22 am

i have the same engine and the same occasional shaking- (or more like a gentle rocking)

this issue has been mentioned on here before- i think the consensus was that its a quirk with this engine and nothing to worry about.

i have had everything done in the past 2 years to improve the running inclusing all the steps you are taking (not to cure this) and it still does it.

if you dont have any other issues its worth getting used to...save your time and money.

cleaning the throttle body wil have a noticeable effect on the throttle response, so should cure the stalling you mention and also improve performance, ive had it done twice in 2 years and its like a new car each time!!
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

Joske

Postby Joske » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:50 am

AlexB wrote: You are doing the right thing -- clean it. I think the Tech. Note mentions that some gasket must be replaced when doing it.

Yeah i have ordered the gasket and it will arrive on Saturday in time for when i clean the TB. I dont have any Tech. Notes but i'm sure i'll have no trouble finding it.

keeforelli wrote:i have the same engine and the same occasional shaking- (or more like a gentle rocking)

this issue has been mentioned on here before- i think the consensus was that its a quirk with this engine and nothing to worry about.

i have had everything done in the past 2 years to improve the running inclusing all the steps you are taking (not to cure this) and it still does it.

if you dont have any other issues its worth getting used to...save your time and money.

cleaning the throttle body wil have a noticeable effect on the throttle response, so should cure the stalling you mention and also improve performance, ive had it done twice in 2 years and its like a new car each time!!

This cannot be a quirk with this engine, its just stupid for it to gently shake or rock for no apparent reason. I'm thinking it could be perhaps the engine mounts. I will need to find an assistant on the weekend as i want to rule this out. I will need to start the car and get someone to hold the engine firmly to prevent it rocking and see if theres any difference in car. I have noticed I can easily push the engine back and forth a cm or 2 but the cars only just over 3 years old and has done 30K so i can't see the mounts being worn already. Maybe its designed that way and the engine is required to move enough to compensate shakes from the engine. If it was firm you'd probably skake the car apart. :-)

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Mine is a 1.4 and i have just learned to accept that this is normal, i have replaced all engine mounts and cleaned the throttle body and still to no avail.....this is a very commonly asked question and to be honest my advise is just to deal with it....its an engine and its going to move in some way or another.

Your wasting your money....
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:28 am

its a megane....

there will always be something not quite right with it!!

if this is the only issue you have...(and it is a quirk of the car)....you are lucky!!
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

Joske

Postby Joske » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Ok well i clean the throttle body today and the car drives a lot more smoother now, only thing is i still get the gentle shake / rock when idling. Didn't think the throttle body would change that problem but its smoothed the drive of the car x10. Anyone who wants to do it on there own car and not pay garage prices, then be prepared to work in a tight environment, but it is do able and takes approx 10-15 mins to remove, 5mins to clean and another 10-15 mins to refit. I did have my trusty tool box with me so i was prepared for the job at hand.

Anyway, i did my two man test on the car and i managed to stop the car shaking / rocking at idle.

Seems that the engine mounts have gone. If i put some firm pressure on the engine the shaking completely disappears from within the car at idle. Now someone previously in this post mentioned they had the engine mounts changed. Can i ask which ones and can you be sure they changed them????

I have a temporary solution to stop the rocking / shake at idle but I will trial it a bit more before i let every one know on the forum.

Return to “Problems / Questions”