Rattling nosie in the car ceiling?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

T9LFA
Currently Drives:: Smart Roadster and Renault Megane VVT 1.6 Dynamique

Postby T9LFA » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:44 am

Not got a sunroof on my megane but there seems to be a strange rattling noise in the ceiling of the car.

If I press on it it stops?

Any ideas?

Is it the wires running to the rear interior lights or maybe something else?
Smart Roadster 699cc Turbo 53 Plate in Yellow/Silver and Renault Megane II 1.6 VVTI Dynamique sport 06 plate Silver

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Re: Rattling nosie in the car ceiling?

Postby Toodeep » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:39 am

Not sure if yours is the same because I do have a sunroof but there is a piece of foam that they use as a spacer near the courtesy light that is glued to the headlining. The adhesive is not particularly strong and mine was detatched when I had the headlining down recently. You'd be able to tell if it (or they as there is presumably one at the front) was in position by pulling down the interior lights though I wouldn't expect a 'rattle'. I suppose you'd be able to tell by the pitch of the noise. I seem to remember some small plastic clips related to the curtain airbags towards the rear and I had the remains of some others which possibly affixed the rear of the headlining at the tailgate. Mine were all missing as my headlining was very damaged but they would have been very small.

Not all that much help, I know, but some of this might make sense to you.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:17 am

I had the same in the area of the rear view mirror (no sunroof in my car). A piece of kitchen sponge has cured the problem.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:16 am

T9LFA wrote:
Is it the wires running to the rear interior lights or maybe something else?

If it sounds like a wire, the connection to the rear interior light is a flat ribbon cable which, if still atttached to the light would be unlikely to rattle. If you have an alarm, the sensor cable for the driver side runs loosely across the rear of the headlining but is so thin I would again be surprised if you could hear it. If it does prove to be either of these they would be easy to tape down. The other wires up there are for the rear wiper/washer, heated rear window and curtain airbags. All these are tied and wouldn't make a noise unless someone has been in there doing work.

T9LFA
Currently Drives:: Smart Roadster and Renault Megane VVT 1.6 Dynamique

Postby T9LFA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks for the replies people, I will certainly be investigating it, because it winds me up when I'm driving the car.
Smart Roadster 699cc Turbo 53 Plate in Yellow/Silver and Renault Megane II 1.6 VVTI Dynamique sport 06 plate Silver

Return to “Problems / Questions”