HELP please 2006 1.6 vvt. Extremely poor performance. Poor acceleration especially under load

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

barrel24
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6vvt dynamique sports tourer

HELP please 2006 1.6 vvt. Extremely poor performance. Poor acceleration especially under load

Postby barrel24 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:06 am

Hi all. Having an issue with my megane.

I am suffering from poor performance and extremely poor acceleration. Especially under load. Have to rev to over 4000 to pull up a hill. (no rattle. Starts fine) Basically hardly any acceleration below 3500rpm. This is through all gears. It really feels like it’s been held back and tbh I thought the clutch was badly slipping but no clutch is fine did hill test put car in 3rd and tried to set off and it stalled.

I have pulled the codes and initially had a p0010 and p0340. I cleared the codes and only the p0010 came back. I have ordered a new dephaser solenoid but wouldn’t have thought it would affect acceleration this much.

If I disconnect the map sensor it’s absolutely fine. Fast acceleration not sluggish at all. As soon as it’s plugged back in it’s back to undrivable.

I will replace the solenoid and clean the throttle body anyway but is this likely the camshaft position sensor?

I would usually change coils and sparks but there are no codes to signify a fault and coils etc would still be failed with map disconnected.

One thing to note on the live readouts I noticed the stft and ltft going up to 24% which seemed a tad high to me. O2 sensor reading look ok.

Idle

Calculated load value 23.9%
Coolant Temperature 201F
Short term fuel trim Bank 1 0.0%
Long term fuel trim Bank 1 23.4%
Intake Manifold Pressure 11.2psi
Engine Speed - RPM 718
Vehicle Speed 0
Ignition timing advance 1.0
Intake air temperature 115F
Absolute Throttle sensor position 12.5%
Oxygen sensor voltage bank 1 sensor 1 0.7v
Short term fuel associated to bank1 sensor1 -4.7%
Oxygen sensor voltage bank 1 sensor 2 0.73v
Short term fuel associated to bank1 sensor2 -100%
Distance travelled while MIL is activated 0
Vehicle voltage 13.7v

Video of live obd on megane owners club fb page

Thanks
Last edited by barrel24 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrel24
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6vvt dynamique sports tourer

Re: 2006 1.6 vvt. Extremely poor performance. Poor acceleration

Postby barrel24 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:41 pm

Car has improved slightly on power it has gone from 80% down to about 40% down however intermittently sometimes it is fine.

So far: replaced map sensor, camshaft position sensor, dephaser solenoid.
No codes on ecu now

Still to do: check fuel pressure + under load clean throttle body. Clean injectors.

I am thinking now it’s the fuel pump as it seems to accelerate well sometimes from a standstill if it’s going up hill. I half filled the tank with no improvement. the stft is also reading +20-35% under load co is pointing me to fuel starvation

o2 sensor reads from 0.085v to 0.750v changine every second or so but it increases the frequency if im revving the engine. so dont think its o2 sensor. could be wrong though.

Am i on the right track?

Return to “Problems / Questions”