Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:47 pm

When I turn off the car and lock it the little screen between the speed and tachometer stays on and drains my battery.
I'm thinking that the dash is getting power when it should not, but I don't know why or what could cause this problem.

If I remove the fuse for the dash the car can sit for a couple of days before the battery runs out so I'm guessing that there are more things than that dash console that is seeping on my battery. It has no aftermarket radio and no one seems to have worked on the electronics before.

Thx in advance :)

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Update:
I discovered that I can remove the keycard from the slot without it killing the engine.
Should this be possible or is it a probable cause of my problem?!

Furthermore, I noticed that I can move the windows up and down when the car is turned off and locked.

lordmat
Passed Theory
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:07 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 hatchback facelift - 1.5 dCi 78kW K9K 732

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby lordmat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:14 pm

i can remove the card without killing the engine too. after all, that would be kind of dangerous, wouldn't it?

however, when the car is locked (or just when the radio is off), i cant control the windows.

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:26 pm

lordmat wrote:i can remove the card without killing the engine too. after all, that would be kind of dangerous, wouldn't it?

however, when the car is locked (or just when the radio is off), i cant control the windows.


Well then I guess it's back to square one then :banghead
I guess i will have to tear out the dashboard and trace it from the fuse and see where the power is coming from :neutral:

DougM
Learner Driver
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby DougM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Have you taken the parcel shelf out and locked the car to make sure the boot light goes out? Also have you tried locking the car from the passenger side with all other doors shut using the lock button on the dash by holding it until you get that long central locking clunk sound. About 5 seconds as I recall. Apologies if you have tried all this.

alanf
Learner Driver
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:52 am

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby alanf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:13 pm

My dash stays illuminated sometimes I think its damp getting in to the fuse box under the battery tray , I intend to sort it when if ever we get a decent run of dry weather, my card also comes out without switching the engine off, handy when I need to unlock the gate and the key is on the same bunch

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:48 pm

DougM wrote:Have you taken the parcel shelf out and locked the car to make sure the boot light goes out? Also have you tried locking the car from the passenger side with all other doors shut using the lock button on the dash by holding it until you get that long central locking clunk sound. About 5 seconds as I recall. Apologies if you have tried all this.


No problem I appreciate every bit of help I can get :)
I have made sure the boot light works properly, I tried locking the car from the passenger side and everything clicked like it should, although I was able to open all doors from the inside even the back doors. Not sure if this should be possible.

I have done some further research and found that the key card reader has two "positions", one where the card is fully inserted and it reads the card code, and one where the card is only partially inserted which "wakes up" the car. The wake-up position is referred to as position 1 in the workshop manual.

When you only partially insert the card and trigger position 1 the dash console should activate, furthermore it allows you to move the windows and operate the radio. My suspicion is that the card reader has been jammed and never releases the switch for position 1.

I'll update when I've dismantled the card reader

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 pm

alanf wrote:My dash stays illuminated sometimes I think its damp getting in to the fuse box under the battery tray , I intend to sort it when if ever we get a decent run of dry weather, my card also comes out without switching the engine off, handy when I need to unlock the gate and the key is on the same bunch


Interesting I've seen some posts online talking about one of the ECUs in the engine compartment being prone to water damage. Does your battery run flat when the dash stays illuminated?

DougM
Learner Driver
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby DougM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:55 pm

So the dash remained illuminated after you locked it using the dash button and the boot light went out after you closed the passenger door and all the doors were locked from the outside? They will open from inside as its not deadlocked by the way. I ask because the driver side door activates the dash display and boot light. A fault with the door lock could possibly leave both or either active. I had a faulty driver side door lock, it locked but registered as open. Its a common fault as well.

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 pm

DougM wrote:So the dash remained illuminated after you locked it using the dash button and the boot light went out after you closed the passenger door and all the doors were locked from the outside? They will open from inside as its not deadlocked by the way. I ask because the driver side door activates the dash display and boot light. A fault with the door lock could possibly leave both or either active. I had a faulty driver side door lock, it locked but registered as open. It's a common fault as well.


Yes, the dash console remains lit unless I unplug the battery or pull the fuse for it, the boot light seems to work as it should.
So far I have these possible causes:
-Door sensor
-Faulty keycard-holder
-Water damage in one of the control modules

DougM
Learner Driver
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby DougM » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:00 am

The door sensor is integrated into the lock. If it is faulty disconnecting the connector in the door will make your fault go away. You dont need to take the whole door card off just use the lift up bit. I find a plastic bicycle tyre lever useful for removing the trim.

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 am

DougM wrote:The door sensor is integrated into the lock. If it is faulty disconnecting the connector in the door will make your fault go away. You dont need to take the whole door card off just use the lift up bit. I find a plastic bicycle tyre lever useful for removing the trim.


Thx for the tips, is the sensor connection shown in this picture?
Image

DougM
Learner Driver
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby DougM » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:52 am

The door lock connector will be obvious when you look inside Its attached to the end of the door lock. This issue has been explored on here before and other places.

viewtopic.php?t=12037

also

https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/threads ... ed.120107/

lots of other reasons to choose from unfortunately.

meganfox
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 pm
Currently Drives:: Megane gen 2

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby meganfox » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:04 pm

DougM wrote:The door lock connector will be obvious when you look inside Its attached to the end of the door lock. This issue has been explored on here before and other places.

viewtopic.php?t=12037

also

https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/threads ... ed.120107/

lots of other reasons to choose from unfortunately.


Wow mega thanks! :D
I've been googling and searching forums for a while and did not find anyone who had the same problem.
I have Wednesday off so I will work on the car then.

alanf
Learner Driver
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:52 am

Re: Second generation Megane dash console on at ALL times

Postby alanf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Yes mine did discharge the battery after being left for about a week, funny enough its been behaving its self recently even with all the heavy rain,it doesn't like frosty mornings either but its been very mild lately.


Return to “Problems / Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scooper1000 and 6 guests