Service light and airbag symbol

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Yossarian

Service light and airbag symbol

Postby Yossarian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:19 am

Hi, I've just joined the club and I have the following problem. By the way, I live in Spain and have a left-hand drive Megane.

For the last few days the service light and airbag symbol have remained illuminated with the engine running. I read in another post that sometimes it's a wiring problem under the driver's seat. I have fiddled with the wires but the problem remains.

The car has just reached 140,000km and I suspect that it could be telling me I need the airbag checked as the oil change warning appeared at the same time.

I have tried resetting the service light and saw on Youtube a video saying how to do it. Unfortunately I cannot find the 'service due' message, only the oil change one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - David

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 DCI OASIS 2006 55 PLATE.

Re: Service light and airbag symbol

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am

Hi,

Have you tried to reset the change oil message by pressing the button at the end of the stalk and the reset button on the front dash at the same time for 10 secs?

It worked on mine, I scrolled through to the change oil message and did the reset.

With reference to the airbag symbol, has anybody caught the passenger airbag disable switch so that it is off. This will show a symbol on the dash. Just a thought.

Tony

Yossarian

Postby Yossarian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi Tony

Yes, I reset the oil change message as you described but the service light and airbag symbol are still lit. I will go and check the airbag switch now.

Thanks - David

Yossarian

Postby Yossarian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Tony

No go. From reading other posts it seems that the most common cause is the wiring under the driver's seat so I will try that again. It's seems a coincidence that this appeared just after 140,000 miles.

Thanks - David

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 DCI OASIS 2006 55 PLATE.

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi there,

Is the message "change oil" or spanner symbol or "service"?

regards

Tony

jocko0610
Currently Drives:: renault megane sport tourer 1.9dci

Postby jocko0610 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi there i have had the exact same problem and it was the squid that caused mine which is basically the steering stock that your wiper and lights controls are on, inside there it is linked to your airbags now your airbags will now not work due to this problem i first noticed on mine when i was getting like a rubbing/grinding noise whilst steering the car.hope this helps you out. it's not that big a job but reccomend a garage as you need to disable the airbags so as they don't go off whilst removing it from steering wheel so you can then remove steering wheel to get to the squid. :o

Dannyh
Currently Drives:: 2003 megane 1.9 dci

Postby Dannyh » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am

Jocko0610, does the steering wheel airbag have to come off? When I steer it sounds like plastic rubbing is this the same as yours?

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi,
sounds like the squib ( clock spring ).
You'll see on you tube how to do it.
When mine went l got one off Ebay as they are quite expensive new.
When you fit it, disconnect the battery for 10 mins first.
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”