Brake pedle problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Re: Brake pedle problem

Postby Snowgirl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:30 am

TAS wrote:Hi snowgirl,

From what you have described the first thing I would do is check the ABS rings on the driveshaft outer joints.
It sounds like one of them may have a cracked and is causing the ABS to operate at low speeds. Rotate each wheel and look closely. Corrosion builds up behind them until they fracture from the expansion.
The ABS light doesn't always come on because the system thinks the wheel is actually locking up because of the gap caused by the fracture. Also check each wheel spins free after the pedal is release and not binding.

Hope this is of some help

Andy

Thanks. Hubby just checked and the ABS ring was cracked in 2!

Thanks for everyone's help. At least we know what the fault is now

TAS

Postby TAS » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Glad you found the problem :cool:

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Postby taffyhl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 pm

My primera's abs used to kick in at low speeds only - feels like you are driving over small pebbles and you could clearly hear the ABD kicking in (whirring noise). Caused by a small split in the ABS ring which made the sensor think the wheel was locked. New ring or whole cv with ring was the answer. Only real fault car had in 10 years and 180k miles. Mind you, had it 3 times!

RobboJE
Currently Drives:: GREY, 2004 RENAULT MEGANE DYNAMIQUE DCI 120 3 DOOR HATCHBACK

Postby RobboJE » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi,
I have the same issue, been reading your replies etc removed the ABS fuse and problem went away. So I reckon my car has the same fault.
Are the ABS rings hard or expensive to change?
Cheers

TAS

Postby TAS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm

RobboJE wrote:Hi,
I have the same issue, been reading your replies etc removed the ABS fuse and problem went away. So I reckon my car has the same fault.
Are the ABS rings hard or expensive to change?
Cheers

A new/good used cv joint it the best way to fix this. I have seen just the rings being sold on the net but often it's not worth it as the surface of the joint get too corroded.

As for difficulty it best left for an experienced tech tbh.

Return to “Problems / Questions”