Brake pedle problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Brake pedle problem

Postby Snowgirl » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:30 pm

I recently brought a 2002 mk1 2.0 16v megane cabroilet. The brakes weren't great and my husband has replaced front and rear discs and pads. Also replaced one of the brake pipes after it split and brakes failed on me :shock:
However when braking as you almost stop you get a strange feel on the brake pedle for a second or 2. Almost like a spining feel. Hubby freed up one of the brake calipers. Not sure what else to try? The brake pedle is high and brakes are now very sharp?
Any ideas? Thanks

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Brake pedle problem

Postby AlexB » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:17 pm

It's hard to understand what you mean by a "spinning feel". Is it ABS kicking in? Do you know the feel of ABS?

Brakes in most cars are neglected. The fluid must be changed every second year, all rubber brake hoses after 5 years, the pads must be of good quality (e.g. GreenStuff) and all corrosion must be removed annually. Braided Teflon replacements for the brake hoses are quite good. If the callipers are in a bad shape, a repair kit is about £9 on ebay (o-rings, etc.).

The brakes are supposed to be sharp. It is unlikely that they became sharper than new due to a fault. You might just need to get used to them. Compare to a new Megane if in doubt.

PS: I think you meant "pedal" and not "peddle", the later meaning "to travel around selling items"...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Postby Snowgirl » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:33 pm

Hiya. Its like a vibration on the "pedal" :D When you gently brake just before the car stops. The brakes where shocking :shock: Pads down to the metal and discs badly scored. Hubby has replaced discs pads all round. Bled them. New brake fluid ect. Did have problem with 1 caliper binding which he cleaned up but he thinks this may be what the strange feeling in the pedal. The brakes are very sharp now just dont feel right. I have driven meganes (mk1 and mk2s) for 8 years so I know it's not right if you know what I mean :cool:

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane cc

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Sounds to me like a warped disc or one of the discs has not been fitted correctly (flush)
Try running a gauge on the disc to see if it has any run out. If you don't have a gauge a simple Heath Robinson affair will do such as a frame of wood with a nail sticking through it just touching the disc. Then spin the disc and see if it's running true

Darren

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Postby Snowgirl » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 pm

It done the exact same with the old discs and pads though :?:

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Hubs then, check them, have you checked run out anyway?

Another thought ....... Buckled wheel?

TAS

Postby TAS » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi snowgirl,

From what you have described the first thing I would do is check the ABS rings on the driveshaft outer joints.
It sounds like one of them may have a cracked and is causing the ABS to operate at low speeds. Rotate each wheel and look closely. Corrosion builds up behind them until they fracture from the expansion.
The ABS light doesn't always come on because the system thinks the wheel is actually locking up because of the gap caused by the fracture. Also check each wheel spins free after the pedal is release and not binding.

Hope this is of some help

Andy

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi Snowgirl,

You didn't answer my questions, so I don't know what else to say...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:10 pm

AlexB wrote:It's hard to understand what you mean by a "spinning feel". Is it ABS kicking in? Do you know the feel of ABS?

Brakes in most cars are neglected. The fluid must be changed every second year, all rubber brake hoses after 5 years, the pads must be of good quality (e.g. GreenStuff) and all corrosion must be removed annually. Braided Teflon replacements for the brake hoses are quite good. If the callipers are in a bad shape, a repair kit is about £9 on ebay (o-rings, etc.).

The brakes are supposed to be sharp. It is unlikely that they became sharper than new due to a fault. You might just need to get used to them. Compare to a new Megane if in doubt.

PS: I think you meant "pedal" and not "peddle", the later meaning "to travel around selling items"...

Alex, I love it, are you sure you are not a peddler lol :devil

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 pm

OK, you beat me in street humour. Well done!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Postby Snowgirl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 pm

AlexB wrote:Hi Snowgirl,

You didn't answer my questions, so I don't know what else to say...

Sorry which question did I miss?

TAS wrote:Hi snowgirl,

From what you have described the first thing I would do is check the ABS rings on the driveshaft outer joints.
It sounds like one of them may have a cracked and is causing the ABS to operate at low speeds. Rotate each wheel and look closely. Corrosion builds up behind them until they fracture from the expansion.
The ABS light doesn't always come on because the system thinks the wheel is actually locking up because of the gap caused by the fracture. Also check each wheel spins free after the pedal is release and not binding.

Hope this is of some help

Andy

Hiya, I asked my husband and he says the teeth are worn? Does this make sense? The brakes are still really sharp just as you brake and car has almost stopped there is still this slight vibration on the pedal. Doesn't abs kicking in feel really rough/grating feeling? So not convinced it's the abs

Meganeccdarren wrote:Sounds to me like a warped disc or one of the discs has not been fitted correctly (flush)
Try running a gauge on the disc to see if it has any run out. If you don't have a gauge a simple Heath Robinson affair will do such as a frame of wood with a nail sticking through it just touching the disc. Then spin the disc and see if it's running true

Darren

Darren it was the exact same with the old discs? Hubby says they are fitted correctly (He's normally pretty good! :D )

Hubby is thinking that as they where soo low for a while, (no meat on pads) and the metal from the pads had deeply scored the discs ect. That the calipers are sticking?

:?

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 pm

They could be but why would that make the pedal judder?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi snowgirl,

The questions were about the ABS (see my first post in this thread). You've answered them indirectly in the last post; it seems that you are not sure on this issue. Therefore, try disabling the ABS for the sake of experiment. Just pull the fuse.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

gareyt
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane mk2 1.5dci dynamique
with a non starter Renault Megane mk2 1.5 authentique for fixing

Postby gareyt » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:38 pm

You say it did the same with the old discs and pads. So perhaps its not the discs and pads.

I was getting a funny noise and slight vibration that I initially thought was the wheel bearing (and replaced) then thought was warped discs (and replaced) and finally replaced the lower arm as the ball joint had some play in it. Cant be sure this was the fix to the noise as I also replaced the driveshaft aswell but there is no noise and no vibration anymore.

Worth checking. let us know how it all works out.

Snowgirl
Learner Driver

Postby Snowgirl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 am

AlexB wrote:Hi snowgirl,

The questions were about the ABS (see my first post in this thread). You've answered them indirectly in the last post; it seems that you are not sure on this issue. Therefore, try disabling the ABS for the sake of experiment. Just pull the fuse.

Thanks. Tried this today. The brakes work perfectly now. No vibration. So it is the ABS kicking in. Hubby is going to clean sensors this afternoon. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Return to “Problems / Questions”